PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
Well, I knew this might happen. Having just completed a 12 year cellar and an amazing array of pipes, I have been advised today that I must quit all smoking immediately. That probably will mean about a pipe every few weeks. I have already gotten down to one drink a week, now even that small joy is gone. I will continue to read this site and sometimes comment, but it is quit or leave this body rather soon.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
Sorry to hear that Foggy. It's too bad but a persons health has to come first I guess. Good luck to you sir.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Foggy - that is really bad news. I hope you'll stick with us here, you've been a great member and friend to this forum.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Sorry to hear about that. I remember you mentioned high blood pressure. And nicotine of course can contribute. Have you tried low nic blends? I pipe all day and wouldn't be able to do so with most blends. I've found Star of the East is really low on the nic meter. Perhaps lower nic blends and less frequent piping? My mom who's 84 has a history of high blood pressure, past mini strokes, and there are some really good meds on this front. Perhaps consult with a different doctor? I'm always surprised at how incompetent many MDs are today. I should know. I train the young ones trying to get into med school. It never hurts to get several second opinions. I wish you comfort, luck and happiness.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Sorry to hear this, Foggy. I hope you can find a replacement activity that will bring you equal enjoyment.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am truly sorry to hear about that. I hope the factors causing your cessation are going to be controlled by this and not cause any more strife in your life.
I wish you the best!
~Wyf

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Good luck quiting.

You gotta do what ya gotta do.

Here is hoping your health improves and ya go on for a good long time.

Smoking dont mean much and neither does drinking, in the grand scheme of things. Just another pass time. You can take up building ships in a bottle or something neat like that.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Damn Foggy. I appreciate you doing what you need to do. Best wishes as always.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I just want to say this, a lot of doctors equate all smoking as the same. Cigarette smoking is the same as pipe smoking. When any intelligent practitioner of medicine can see that the two are as different as night and day. I will say this tho, smoking indoors, in an enclosed room, can lead to subliminal inhalation of quite a bit of tobacco smoke. Smoking outdoors obviates this. I would definitely seek secondary and tertiary opinions on this. Smoking several bowls a week of a very low nic blend is not detrimental to ones health. Especially if enjoyed outdoors. Smoking a high nic blend indoors several or more times a day would be the opposite extreme. Alcohol should be ruled out entirely, as well as caffeinated beverages. There are a lot of decaf teas to choose from. Of course you have to do what you have to do, but listen to your body first, and seek out multiple sources of advice, preferably from doctors past their late 50s, who I've found to be much more intelligent that young kids with MDs and clipboards. I've met a boatload of those. Lastly a wise old nurse in her 60s will often yield the sagest advice. A good doctor would know this and council accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.