PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
I noticed lately that I kind of not enjoy the first third of a bowl. The charring light and first true light is almost a struggle to get the ember going puffing variously and tamping as needed. I love the expectation while packing the tobacco, preparing the lighter and pipe tool on a convenient position and replacing the lid on the jar and then sitting back to enjoy.
It might be that I mentally let go of everything after a while and just smoke subconsciously but still, the last two thirds are truly excellent most of the time. :puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Grue, I have been pondering that very phenonemon myself lately. It's as if I can only hit the 'sweet spot' once past the halfway point of the bowl.
Though I have only been piping since September last year I do feel that I have mastered the correct packing/lighting technique so that cannot be to blame. I would say that out of perhaps 50 pipes I have, only maybe three of those pipes can I pick up, load and light knowing that the smoke will be perfect from the very start to the end. All the rest I have to wait until roughly halfway then WALLOP....the sweet spot is hit and I can sip away to my heart's content. Another thing I have noticed is that once the sweet spot has been hit and one leaves the pipe alone long enough to go out, upon relighting that sweet spot is no longer there!
It is very odd but I'm rather glad to know it is not just me who has experienced this.
Regards,
Jay.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
This is interesting. I myself noticed this, but instead, I enjoy the first half of the bowl! :?

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
In my case, and probably mawnansmiff's, it might have to do with moisture level as well. Maybe the first third of smoking dries the tobacco to the almost perfect level to achieve lasting plus good tasting effect...

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
The bowl of 20/20 (a broken-flake bulk English blend from my local B&M) I had this morning didn't get good until about halfway in, primarily because I couldn't get it to properly stay lit until then. I've had the opposite experience however, with blends that are ribbon or shag cut. For me, it seems to depend the most on the tobacco's cut and how successful I am at packing it.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I find that I enjoy the first 2/3-3/4 of the bowl the most. The last part is usually a little more wet and saturated with the burning of the top part. But there again, it depends on the cut of the tobacco. With some cuts I find that it will burn just about all the way down with good results. (but not to a fine white ash) :mrgreen:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be lying if I said I don't enjoy lighting up, and the early third of the bowl. It awakens the taste and often is a bit different than the rest, though I agree that usually the flavor and burn get better. So yes, the last 2/3rds are best, but keep practicing, and you may find that eventually the first third can be real good. Sometimes the char light stays lit, and that's nice. Or the char light gets everything puffed up and settled in, with tamping, and that's really satisfying too. Don't be too self-critical; take it all as pleasure and things usually work well.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
The tobacco I smoke the most is Condor Ready Rubbed & Condor Long Cut (a flake that I rub out) and both are aired for an hour or so afore being jarred. Obviously there is still moisture in there but much lessened by the airing. My packing technique is pretty consistent so I really can't think what makes the smoke so variable.
As I stated above, I have perhaps 3 pipes that smoke great from the off, one is a large squashed tomato, another a poker and the third a bent billiard so it's a bit of a mystery to me.
Regards,
Jay.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Me, I enjoy for the first 2/3 rds and often dump the last 1/4.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I often deliberately allow my pipe to go out with about a third of the bowl left. The flavor of that relight is amazingly full.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I usually really enjoy the charring light. Sometimes a 'blend' will not develop until later, and at first will be acrid or bitter but with patience it settles into a flavorful smoke.

I often let pipes go out and will start another only to revisit the ones I've allowed to chill, often with great effect.

No rules, whatever works for you.

Some blends yield consistent results from char to ash, but most do change as the process 'develops'.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
Back to school for you Crazyhog
Ha, I'm a short, slow puffer now, 45 minutes at most. I had to cut back for health reasons. I keep putting too much tobacco in my bowls. I dump more than I should probably. I do hate getting anywhere close to ash. Especially true with some wet aros. Lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sometimes I have to let a pipe go out and come back much later or the next day. Rather than diminishing the bowl, I often find it enhances it. Odd but true.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
MSO, I actually experience the opposite. I find that after anything over an hour the baccy has dried up too much and therefore the flavour is much reduced.
I did once try knocking out the ash at the top and then refilling the bowl but that didn't work for me.
Regards,
Jay.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I've never had a good experience during relights. The first few puffs are horrible. Same holds true with cigars.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Ditto ^ however also I find it's the last 1/3 that usually tastes like crap, which at least has a reasonble explanation as that's what catches all the tar and junk from the first 2/3, like a filter.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Glad I'm not the only one let's a half full bowl sit for a while before relighting. I've gone a couple days and still enjoyed the last. I tend to smoke fast so letting it dry out a good bit is probably best for the way I smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.