PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I miss the days when we could sit around on this site and read a post by Harris or Peck about what tobacco they were buying and cellaring and then rush to get it. Such lovely freedom to lurk and then chase the good stuff. It was all available, mostly. You just did your homework and then made a decision on what to buy. Esoterica excluded. Oh how the lovely packages arrived at your door. Gifts of joy. Your cellar grew and your face smiled. McClelland was just good tobacco and something you added to your orders as a base in your cellar. Fribourgh and Treyer was all the rage. Sillem’s was cult, and podcasts were rare. Remember Olie? Magazines were available. The tobacco regs were just brewing as a possibility. Hoarding was real, but somehow not pointed and visceral. A guy from over seas raved about his lighters. And vaping was was unheard of.
Carry on. I’m just reminiscing.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
And that’s nothing compared the memories discussed at Pipe Shows. Wow, the 60s-90s and onward.
For you new pipe smokers. Keep calm and pipe on. Times change, but piping will live on. You just have to be darn quick with the internet and have a credit card available for in-stock alerts nowadays.

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
Yep, ohhh getting low on Pebblecut or Navy Cavendish? No problem, 65 tins in stock, $9.85. Its certainly wild how much things have changed in such a short amount of time.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Or just don't get addicted to unobtainium.
This^^^
Started to get caught up in the chase and it was affecting my enjoyment of the pipe experience.
Look what's happening with the recent Esoterica drop at P&C. Cancelled orders and disappointment all around...
Going to enjoy these times as a new piper and try to avoid the craziness. Definitely not going to sit by my computer with credit card at the ready. Y'all can have it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm making notes on what-all is available today so I can wax nostalgic about it in a few years. As the old lyric went, sung by Joanie Mitchell, "You don't know what you got 'til it's gone."

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I'm of the mindset that we should start hyping about all the stuff not many people like. We should hype it up, get them buying that and tell them the good stuff really ain't that good, it's just grown in human feces. You know, try to turn them off and leave more for the ones that know better. Think a little reverse psychology will work?
Started to get caught up in the chase and it was affecting my enjoyment of the pipe experience.
I hear you. Been staying away from the chase and only buying the unobtanium if and when the right time, right place, and right price hits. Been focusing my efforts on trying out new, easily obtained blends that I will love and will likely always be able to get. It's working out pretty well, although I had a temporary relapse and bought some Margate yesterday. Got my shipping notice, so at least I know it's on the way.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Captain Black is amazing! Who needs latakia?
That's the ticket! I've been smoking Borkum Riff for the past few days and I gotta say, I think I'm changing my cellaring plan and stocking up on Borkum Riff and tossing the Esoterica out in the flower beds.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
bought some Margate yesterday
You're going to really like it. Seems as if Margate is much easier to get as I've shown up late to the party and was able to get it relatively easy after the madness settled down. Bag here, bag there... 2 lbs. in the cellar now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Cancelled orders and disappointment all around...
With P&C, that's not that uncommon, you should have seen the massive debacle that happened on IPSD a few years ago.
Or just don't get addicted to unobtainium.
It's only unobtainium if you're looking for it online.
tell them the good stuff really ain't that good, it's just grown in human feces.
With Esoterica I wouldn't doubt that.
I think most are overlooking the fact that a lot of really good tobacco is VERY available. I came out of my buying retirement and picked up 20 tins of Savinelli's Doblone d'Oro that is amazing, and that's just one, not to mention it's 15% off. Don't bemoan lack of availability when you can find better easily.

Jan 8, 2013
A guy from over seas raved about his lighters.
"This is the number one for best of lighter of obtain to own. No other lighter good is as is this. Greatest of all of many many best lighters!"
B1149292485.jpg

Oh, Haja! He is so missed! :rofl:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I miss 1975 more. I was a senior in high school, had close to zero body fat, got laid quite regularly, cell phones weren't invented yet and I suppose, neither was the internet. Cigarettes were thrifty five cents per pack, gas was around forty cents per gallon. A six pack was less than $2. I did occasionally smoke a cob filled with Borkhum Riff Whiskey. Ignorance was bliss.
Hey, if we're going to fantasize, I'm going all out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I miss 1994. Still the early years of my young adult life, the year I met my first wife, far fewer reponsibilities, and a lot less aches and pains. Looking back the world just seemed visibly brighter. I loved sitting around streams and fly fishing with a Grabow filled with the Balkan Sobranie of the era, and in my young mind I knew it all. How wrong I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.