PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Now, everything else is not as good. At least what I have on hand. What else compares to the excellence experienced with Escudo? Orlick Flake? HH ODF? (cobguy seemed to think that was a good try)...I just cannot get over how quickly this stuff has captured my appreciation. I can put ONE coin in a bowl and smoke it forever...and TASTE? Yeah..that's what smoking a pipe is all about.
Did I mention that it burns best lightly packed and previously dried for a few hours. and the I tasted clove?

heheh...how's that for an emerging palette? (hopefully)
Sorry, I was wrong about what Cobguy said. He was referring to Pease's JackKnifePlug...also thoroughly appreciated by myself so much that I became alarmed at how quickly it departed company. I'd tried the Escudo earlier w/o success due to tight packing and freshness/moisture.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Escudo is pretty awesome, I'm glad you've found it! I would suggest Orlik Golden Sliced and Capstan Flake Blue and some great similar blends. Orlik, Escudo, and Capstan are easily my top 3 favourite VaPers that I've tried

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
ruger414:

Orlik, Escudo, and Capstan are easily my top 3 favourite VaPers that I've tried

So, have I peaked? Is there something else 'genre' wise that is as satisfying? Smokes so perfectly?

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Dunhill Navy Flake. Some say it's the same as Escudo and some say one is better than the other. Either way they are both great and you will enjoy DNF since you liked Escudo.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
It's hard to beat something as perfect as Escudo, I'm suffering from that myself! Escudo is perfection in the VaPer department, but don't forget that there are many other blends out there and each has it's own appeal

Mar 1, 2014
Doomed I say, dooomed!
Funny, it seems like I still get the "Sweet Virginia" taste no matter what I do with it. I'm sure there are still better and worse ways to prepare it though.
So far Escudo, SG St. James Flake, Full Virginia Flake (aged six months), and G.L. Pease Fillmore are all roughly the same thing. There's a fairly distinct aftertaste that goes along with it and I've only had that on a certain type of Virginia blend.

My Brigham Klondike Gold still needs a while in the cellar, and Orlik Golden Sliced was also very good, but maybe a tad less flavourful or maybe just needed more time.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Try L.J. Peretti's London Flake and if you see any grab some Esoterica Dunbar, they are both great Va/Per blends. Escudo is good stuff though, no doubt there.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Huge fan of Escudo here. Tied with Fillmore for my favorite VaPer.
I, too, love Marlin Flake - though it's a very different style of VaPer.
Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake and Bullseye Flake are up there, along with a few of the heavy McClelland offerings such as Beacon Extra and St James Woods.

gunslinger

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2014
+1 on Escudo's greatness. I agree on the similarity of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. To my taste the DNR is slightly sweeter.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cobguy ... referring to Pease's JackKnifePlug
Yeah, I was thinking that if you enjoyed something like JKP you might want to try ODF.
For VaPer's though ... these guys have provided some great suggestions.
GLP Fillmore, PS LBF, Marlin Flake, etc...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
cobguy:

Yeah, I was thinking that if you enjoyed something like JKP you might want to try ODF. For VaPer's though ... these guys have provided some great suggestions. GLP Fillmore, PS LBF, Marlin Flake, etc...
Your probably right on about the ODF. I'd been smoking my one tin of JKP so quickly that I decided to try the one of Escudo. The way it burns, the taste, the smell. I already had some PSLBF, and had been enjoying the (at that point in my explorations)the unique appearance/presentation of the coins with the cav centers...but now, in comparison, I'd say that the two are farther apart than has been suggested.
I'll certainly keep all these great suggestions and give them a try, thanks y'all!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My first order resulting from reading responses is 4oz of McClleland's 2015 from 4noggins. It looks like a safe bet and an attractive (relatively) price.

I'll be getting around to most of 'em hopefully.

Escudo is one of the best, but switching between VaPers is what keeps my taste buds on its toes. I like detecting the subtle nuances between the ratios of Va to Per.
Yeh, I think it was Kevin who posted an article on how Escudo and Dunhill's Deluxe Navy are the same tobacco from the same blender and even the same packaging folks.
I could suggest more VaPers, but really, I haven't found a VaPer yet that I haven't loved. Try all of them. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Throwing in my 2 cents: while I would never disparage the classics, Hearth and Home's Rolando's Own is a fantastic smoke, I love the scent on the retro-hale. Also, I have taken a liking to the Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman blend. These have found a permanent place in my rotation.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
There have been some great recommendations here. I would have mentioned many that are already above.
If you are looking for a good "bargain" daily smoke - I highly recommend PS Luxury Navy Flake. Its a great all day, every day VA/P. The price of the 1.5 lb box makes it extremely affordable, and I never tire of it.
I will add C&D's Kajun Cake as well to the recommendations - quite a bit of perique in the blend.
Also from C&D - Bayou Morning Flake
Escudo is unique because of the cut, and its great stuff. There are SO MANY amazing VA/P blends that its really hard to say which I like best.
That said, for me, I always enjoy flakes, coins, crumbles and plug's much moreso than ribbon mixtures. Probably due to the variety. You can get very different experiences and nuances from the same blend just by how you choose to prepare it for that particular smoke.
And the journey continues.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
@Patham57
I love Reiner Long Golden Flake. I've been working my way through a 7 year old tin over the past couple months and it is simply sublime.
I find the Orlik Golden Sliced is somewhat similar. The Renier is blended by the same guy that does all of the Solani blends - though they are on the pricier side as well. Solani 633 is very similar BUT without the Burley component. If you subtracted the Burley from LGF you would have something almost identical to 633 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.