PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Ok, so most of you know I collect Hilsons... For those that don't long story.
I'm watching one on the bay of E right here,but that stem is not a Hilson stem.
$(KGrHqFHJBEE+P398RfqBP1YY08j!!~~60_57.JPG

From what i can gather on pipephil and such, it looks like a Blatter or a Retalb (which is made by Blatter) stem.
Anyone any clues ? I don't have a Belgian made Olympiad yet, so I may pull the trigger on it anyway, but it just looks weird.
Appreciate the help.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Hmm well Blatter (and Rettalb) always had a red dot from what I know. They did have the two dots but those were red and white so that makes me doubt that it's a Blatter stem.
Wish I could help more than that! Sure is a good looking pipe though.
...I could swear that I've seen that style of dot before...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
According to this it should be a Blatter.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-b5.html
Here's the Rettalb.
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-r2.html

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I've seen that style of dot before
Me too. And I agree with papipeguy that it looks very much like a Blatter or Rettalb two dot stem. Most likely a Rettalb. But I also agree with Ichbinmuede that the Blatter/Rettalb were more red than brown. This one definitely looks more brown on the second dot. And it's driving me nuts. It's one of those "I've seen this but where or where ?" It's almost like a Luciano dot, but the Luciano dots are different size. :?
What worries me the most is that given it's not the original stem, how well does it fit ? You can never tell from pictures.
I may go for it if it stays this low on price... won another quite rare one yesterday. The shipping was more than the pipe :rofl: I'll post pics when I get it, but here's a taste. It's a leather covered Hilson Glacier. They didn't make too many of those.
HilsonGlacier.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.