Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I stumbled upon this at a local estate/antique store. I believe this is a Ser Jacopo as the dot on the stem seems right. Can anyone help me out here with some more information. I do not want to say what I paid as I will go to jail for some sort of theft. :)
ekj0hj.jpg

2uro54w.jpg

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Those runes on the silver band look really cool. I wonder what they translate to.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I also wish I could read the runes. Pipe looks nice either way.

Dec 24, 2012
I can't really see the dot head on, but from this angle it sure looks like an SJ coral dot. The silver work and style of pipe definitely shout SJ as well.

Dec 24, 2012
The dot on the Bilbo SJ pipe looks similar - is the band the sae:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/anyone-here-have-a-cavicchi-bilbo

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I don't know anything about Ser Jacopo's but either way that is damn fine looking pipe. Congrats sir. Hope she smokes good for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you bought this for peanuts, you made a sweet deal. It sure looks like SJ, with their characteristic finish.

I'd visit that shop from time to time. Also the broad stem is SJ-like.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Thanks all for the info - I will add another photo giving a better look at the logo. The nomenclature is in the photos - one side is the standard Fatta A Mano Italy, the other side I cant quite decipher. It is in the closeup photo. The LOTR reference makes sense as the Runes do look like that Elvish stuff from Tolkien. This is getting better all the time!
2czv993.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
WOW great information anthony!! After googling Ser Jacopo LOTR I found this from another site. Notice the date of 2008. I am never this lucky - floored.
SER Jacopo LOTR

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
After reading runes for the past hour I am convinced that the silver band is:
FRODO LOTR
Thank you all for your help. btw the confusing nomenclature is Meliora Cogito.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
That is some find peteguy, I'm only very slightly envious :D
All that pipe needs is a whiff of old Toby!

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Congratulations peteguy - a great find! The band is indeed in Cirth and translated says FRODO.LOTR when read from the button end. It presents to the smoker. The interesting thing is that Leaf Sniffer, the authority in the OldToby.com link you show who has the entire collection - including an unproduced prototype - shows this shape as a Bilbo. Since the runes on the ring are quite possibly the same as yours and are definitely not Bilbo in Cirth, it appears he made a mistake.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.