PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I damn near cleaned out the antique store. I left a few pipes and stands(I need another humidor stand like a hole in the head) and pipes but this lot followed me home. In the bunch are an early Dr. Garbow(prop logo), LHS SEC, and three interesting Dr. Shotton pipes. I've never seen them before. They have a screw pipe on the front of the bowl for ease of cleaning. The pipe cleaner passes straight through. The only info I've found on the 4 are a 1939 add for the Shottons and a patent form for the LHS. The restorations will keep me busy for a while but it will be fun. :)

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Not out of space for pipes. I can stash them anywhere. Stands on the other hand are a different story.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It seems like everything is under control.
Reminds me of a line I saw on a tshirt once: "I don't have a drinking problem. I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem."

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
The only thing I could find on the Dr. Shotton was an ad in Popular Mechanics from 1939. I'd Guess they weren't around very long.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Terrific haul. The pipes look in good shape, highly desirable for restoration. Some thrifty folks would consider these a lifetime supply, but I don't guess that's you or me.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks for the info! You guys wouldn't happen to know anything about the Dr. Grabow Distiller pipes would you? Its an interesting pipe to be sure but I cant find anything on them.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Cool old cob there on the left side ... looks like an old H&B Toasted. Any stickers on it?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That is a great collection you have there. Pipes with odd gimmicks for delivering cool dry smokes or novel cleaning methods interest me.
Dr Shotten was actually John C. Shotten of Cleveland, Ohio and it appears his patent for that pipe was granted in 1934. The ads like the one you saw seem to all stop in 1939. The pipe was only available by mail order. It looks like there was an attempt to build up a sales force, a sort multi-level marketing thing. Perhaps that just didn't get anywhere.
I'm betting Dr Shotton was a dentist because I see his name in association with some old dental journals.He had some earlier patents for metal casting and soldering.
Anyway, that's probably more than anybody but me wants to know =)
dr%20shotten%201939%20ad_zpsa7038hef.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.