Tags:  No tags yet. 

I Love Tobacco, but Hate Nicotine!

(41 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by panamacharlie
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

I love having a pipe in my mouth, could do it all day long, and I love the tastes of various tobaccos. But I find that trying to work while smoking is almost impossible, it gets me a little dizzy, and sometimes a little shaky, even with low nic blends, and especially on an empty stomach.

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalized and corrected.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Question or just an observation?

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Not sure how to reply.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have a pipe, a Coke and a smile.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Who is Nicotene is that a band

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. bosmer

bosmer

Login to Send PM

Have you tried using a bong?

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

That's a terrible predicament.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm not a fan of nicotine, so I gravitate to blends that are flavorful but not high in the Nic Hit department.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nicotine doesn't love me either. I pace myself with the higher nic blends like some of the ropes, etc. The flavor is too good to miss, so I eat and have caffeine on hand when I smoke them. It helps. Also, I have learned to do 1/2 or even 1/4 bowls of the stronger stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's probably a wise strategy wyfbane. I only smoke half bowls in my bigger pipes

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Interesting subject, for me, anyway.

So how do you know which blends have a higher nicotine level? You can't know unless you smoke them for a while, judge your reactions, and then compare them to other blends. In other words....it's a crap shoot. All arbitrary, all anecdotal...no nic content numbers, no science involved, just opinions. Welcome to the world of pipe-smoking.

I think from what I've read: blends with large proportions of Burleys are probably higher in nicotine than blends with the Virginias as the main tobacco? Let's just say this is true. This is a problem for those trying to avoid nicotine because the PROPORTIONS of tobaccos that are used in a blend are never noted....it's a secret recipe/formula, after all. Yes tobaccos used in a blend are sometimes listed, but not the proportions. Super value tobaccos (packed in bags the size of pillows) are probably loaded with cheaper Burleys, e.g. "Virginia Gold"...."SmoKer's Pride"..."Admiral's Choice"..."Bugler"...Carter Hall"..."Prince Albert"..."Half & Half", etc. All Burley-loaded blends, and all heavily flavored. Expect the nic hit from these. And, that's fine. They are what they are, i.e. cheaper, economical, blends. At least you know, up front, that Burley is the main ingredient in these blends, as stated.

But with the higher priced blends...who knows? I love to browse around the "Tobacco Reviews" site. The comments I read about many of the blends amuse me, even making me laugh at times. Wish there was a section listing nicotine content of blends from high to low. Now, that kind of information would be very helpful. Does anyone really give a flyin' fig about "room note"?

Frank

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can find the strength of nicotine listed in the tobaccoreviews.com website and the strength is listed in most online vendors. I trust the vendors listings more than I do the reviews, but they are pretty close.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Michael....thanks for that information. Having recently rekindled my interests in pipe smoking, I realize that I have a lot of catching up to do.

Had no idea Tobacco Reviews had nicotine-strength noted. I guess I looked in the wrong location. Where on the TR site do I look for the nic-strength of the various blends?

I have a "Pipe and Cigars" catalog open in front of me. I read flowery descriptions about the blends...and that's it. Sometimes the words..."robust"..."full flavored"..."rich-aromatic" are noted, but nicotine strength...who knows? Page 36... lists fourteen of the Cornell & Diehl blends...not one of the fourteen, mentions nicotine. I'm stumped.

What am I missing? I would love to know where to find this information.

Frank

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Each review will have the reviewer's assessment of nicotine strength at the top of each review, and then the site keeps up with a ranking at the top bar above the reviews. Sorry, I would post a picture, but my photobucket isn't working.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Ultimately is is very subjective. People's tolerance for nicotine varies, so when looking at reviews, look for the broadest sampling amongst people offering that info about a particular blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, and maybe body chemistry plays into a bit, as friend of mine thinks PS LTF is really strong, but I find it doesn't do much for me, nicotine-wise. Also. some people do not get any effects from perique, while some will feel it strong. According to Mark Ryan it isn't the nicotine in perique, but other formulations of the chemicals that enhances the nicotine in the leaves mixed with it. So, the whole matter can get rather muddy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for helping me find this information, and for the helpful suggestions.

I just took another look on the "Tobacco Review"s site and now have become aware that the nicotine-strength is noted in the "STRENGTH" ratings, listed above the review comments. Missed this. Thanks.

As for catalog listings.....what's the tip off for nic-strength. Do words like "robust".... "full-flavored"....etc, mean higher nic levels?

All interesting to me.

Frank

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love pipe tobacco but also very much enjoy the nicotine.
    But as others have said it’s very personal.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Robust and full-flavored seem like they describe the flavors. I would think strong and strength would be indicators of nicotine. Also, avoid labels on tins stating that the tobacco is for the "experienced pipe smoker." This means it is deemed very strong.
    If you are an aromatic smoker, all of Lane's and Sutliff's products are very weak in nicotine. Also, burleys can be devoid of nicotine (especially the ones used in aromatics), and some Virginia blends will pound down a newbie, like Royal Yacht or GH&co Dark Flake or rope tobaccos. These use the darker Virginia varieties.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your first mistake if your a nic light weight is smoking on an empty stomach. Nicotine causes your blood sugar to drop. Have something to eat first.

Also smoke slooooow. Over time you'll build up a tolerance. I've never felt the effects from nicotine while smoking a pipe but once in a blue moon I do from cigars.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nicotine content of tobacco can be measured, but there are very understandable reasons why a manufacturer wouldn't do this unless required by law.

There's plenty of good people with lots of smoking experience here on PM though to help you find low-nic blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's always bay leaves...

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never felt effects while smoking cigars but yes sometime from a pipe,mostly it is caused by Kentucky dark fired, although not more so scary about it finally started to learn how to hand this, and do happen to like Burleys.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

What am I missing? I would love to know where to find this information.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What sablebrush said. If you cannot tolerate any nicotine, probably pipe smoking isn't for you, because all tobacco has some nicotine. But many blends are extraordinarily low. Two that come to mind are the English blend Nat Sherman 536, and even milder Spilman Mixture from Iwan Ries. There are many (many) others low on the nicotine scale. So you're sure to find some you like if you can tolerate just a little.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. paddypiper

paddypiper

Login to Send PM

I can't add anything all that new to what's already been said, but pipe tobacco does have quite a bit more nicotine than cigars or cigarettes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Your answers helped. Holy smoke! I got the Burley = high nicotine thing, all wrong.... Got schooled, today. That's a good thing.

@ cosmic....thanks for the tobacco tips. But I'll skip the bay leaves.

@ chasingembers....catalogs that I have just not blend descriptions and skipped that kind of legend, but I'll be mindful to look for this kind of notation in the future. Maybe I need to do more research when I consider trying different blends.....or, I'll ask the forum members about nic strength.

Frank

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

There's always bay leaves...

Is it branded as Carter Hall?

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. quint

quint

Login to Send PM

Over time you'll build up a tolerance.

Very true. It takes time, but does happen. And as others have said, don't smoke on an empty stomach. Plus while smoking, sip on a sweet drink. The sugar helps raise blood sugar levels.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, what about this?
    Nicotine Raises Blood Sugar: Study Details
    https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20110328/nicotine-and-blood-sugar-bad-combination

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tobacco is plant that has powerful effects on us. In addition to nicotine, there are other alkaloids such as nornicotine, anabasine, and anabaseine. The synergistic blending of all the chemically active parts of the plant contribute to the users experience. I have read that nicotine affects insulin, this can be good or bad like all things. For instance, tobacco users tend to have lower weight than nonsmokers, but it may not be a good choice for those with diabetes, or who are prediabetic. These influences on insulin may even be related to it's effects on dopamine, thereby contributing to it's more pleasurable effects. Like anything that has an ability to change the way we feel, we are responsible for using it wisely. If you are experiencing negative reactions you may be smoking more than is good for you. Smaller amounts, less inhaling, filters, building tolerance, and lower nicotine blends are all good ideas. I read something about folic acid and B12 supplementation being protective to the pancreas. Don't label nicotine as being something undesirable to you, it is more likely that the dose your are getting is too high for you. Try not to go past the point of feeling good. Some suggested non tobacco blends, but these usually contain many different plants all of which also have an unknown effect on you. I'd suggest trying to smoke tobacco the way Sablebrush52 does as he posted in this thread http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/how-long-do-you-draw-for

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Padypiper:Based on my observations I'm coming to this conclusion as well,

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I experimented with the vitamin B supplementation today. I took a B complex pill this morning and smoked a pipe multiple times throughout the day. I avoided eating as much food as well. I was much more comfortable smoking larger amounts on an empty stomach than usual. For me, the B complex seemed to help stabilize my fasting blood glucose.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are many extremely tasty low-nicotine blends. You are looking at the "mild" end of the spectrum, and there are plenty of good candidates. Here's a handy list!

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, what about this?
    Nicotine Raises Blood Sugar: Study Details
    https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20110328/nicotine-and-blood-sugar-bad-combination

That's true, smoking makes your body more resistant to insulin and raises blood sugar levels. I will try to explain. After eating something, carbohydrates start breaking down to glucose (sugar) in your body. Your body can use the glucose as an energy source so your pancreas starts producing insulin - a hormone that opens up the cells allowing them to take in the sugar. Nicotine forces your pancreas to stop producing insulin, thus the sugar levels in your blood start rising. Now, you have lots of sugar in your blood however your cells cannot pick them up because they have no insulin. As soon as you take a spoon of honey or sugar, your body thinks like "oh, more sugar is coming, I better hurry to produce some insulin" and triggers pancreas to produce more insulin. Therefore a spoon of sugar or a coke some kind of normalizes your blood sugar levels. But let's not forget that, everyone is different.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, this thread make me somewhat envious. If I did not love Nicotine so much, I'd be able to enjoy some of these wispy little blends, but I'd probably end up just smoking C&D's white Burley with a speckling of red Virginia and bright Virginia. Delicious stuff, all three, and together they make a honey-almond-wheat flavor that is delicious and not at all like the breakfast cereal you might think it resembles.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. cranseiron

Cranse Iron

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Javan, indeed you are correct. I narrowed my search to nicotine effects at the cellular level and found the information you described. Thank you!
    Eric

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

You are welcome, Eric. I'm glad I was helpful.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the wispy blends during the day, while working at the bench and chain smoking my pipes. But, after dinner, I start breaking out the burleys and ropes. It's like the wispy blends affect me with a different level of energy. I can smoke a Virginia or VaPer and get all sorts of things done. But, after one bowl of a heavy hitter, and I can't even get out of my chair.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gorillafly, mso489, ashdigger, brooklynpiper, clickklick, cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123, cortezattic, jaygreen55