PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I bought this old Canadian shape pipe with a silver band on it because it looked like it might be nice under all the grime. After cleaning, it didn't disappoint! The band is a sterling repair band, but otherwise the pipe was in good shape, showing some nice birds eye, but just really dirty.
So the question, who made this pipe? The only stampings are Flagship in fancy script, Algerian Bruyere, and a circle shape symbol that is sectioned into five pie shapes, with the letters (clockwise from the lower left section) PNEBC. There is the number 71 on the side. No country stamped, and I can't seem to find any info on it, but then maybe none exists. Anyone got any clues?

dsc_00051-600x276.jpg

dsc_00041-600x294.jpg

dsc_0007-600x385.jpg

Jan 27, 2015
Hard brand to track down. Didn't find anything of substance other than the company was around in the 60's. Whether it was dissolved or sold thereafter, and how long after, I don't know, but that's the only thing I could find. Pipephil didn't show anything for flagship or any combination of the letters PNEBC. Algerian bruyere is just the source of briar and 71 is the shape, they won't be of any help. I think it's just a nice pipe and meant to be enjoyed regardless of history. Always nice to know, but sometimes it's beyond reach.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I got a hit! Was thinking it was NEBPC because of the order and PC meant pipe club perhaps. It actually means New England Briar Pipe Company. Another example here with some great info: LINK
Kaywoodie also has a Canadian pipe shape #71 so there you go!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I got a hit! Was thinking it was NEBPC because of the order and PC meant pipe club perhaps. It actually means New England Briar Pipe Company.
Well done! And from the Kaywoodie shape list,
71 Slim Canadian, oval stem 1935-1972
http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/Kaywoodie_shape_numbers_about218.html

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Wow, thanks guys! Sam, you da man, spot on with a rather obscure pipe company. I like the pipe especially with the repair band, as I'm kind of on a silver band kick right now.
The pipe forums came to the rescue again. Great source of info, and well, many other things too as we all know. :worship:

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The NEBPC made the Yello Bole line for KBB. That "Algerian Bruyere" stamp looks like the same one used on Yello Boles, too. What is strange is the two-digit code.
Nice find!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never heard of NEBPC before, so thanks for this thread and the key post by samcoffeeman, especially for us Yello-Bole owners who now know the company started in New Hampshire when American factory pipes were strong.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Orley, would you be so kind as to post your photos in the Kaywoodie/KBB/Yello Bole Collectors Thread? This is the first KBB shape number pipe I have seen that actually incorporates the New England Briar Pipe Company name. Actually, this is the first time I have seen any pipe with the NEBPC name. You really do have a fantastic find. Flagship indeed!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You've got a good eye, Orley.
I opened this thread, saw the pix and immediately thought of the Kaywoodie style. (And style it is. Some KWs were just elegant.)
What a great get! How does it smoke?
Fnord

May 31, 2012
Excellent sleuthing Sam!

:puffpipe:

Very well done.

:clap:
...and congrats Orley on the rare old bird!
I've never seen one,

thanks for sharing.
The old factory where that pipe was made in Penacook New Hampshire, is still in use today,

see here:

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Yello-Bole
...large image here:

https://debralavalley.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/dsc_0024sm.jpg
Neat stuff.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Penacook NH is a 'bed room' town of Concord. It's like most small NH towns with a history of factory manufacturing along waterways, and agricultural producers. The tannery downtown stunk up the place for years.

Thank goodness I didn't live there.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
From what I've read, Bruyere or briar root was a pre-WWII stamping. Post war, American pipe makers began stamping their pipes Imported Briar.
Great looking old pipe.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Dave is right. I went though my records and found the 71 shape started in 1935. Good chance its pre war. Beautiful birdseye.

Status
Not open for further replies.