Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I love living in Florida. However, it's a little tough right now, especially if you want to look good, and if you have to smoke your pipe outside.
Since it's summer in the northern hemisphere, and it's hot just about everywhere, our resident gentleman smoker, Steve Morrisette decided it would be a good time to talk about unlined jackets and thin-walled pipes.
I will bet you that no matter how much you know about style, and / or pipes, you will learn something interesting in this one. I learned a couple of things myself, but I leave that for Steve.
Check out his fun new article -

Summer Cool: Unlined Jackets and Thin-Walled Pipes

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Please explain to me why, oh why, to be "properly" dressed a male must wear a shirt and jacket, when a female is perfectly dressed in a thin short low cut slip.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
It's just too hot here in Florida to wear coat and tie if you have to work outside at all. In my profession, I'm often meeting clients outside or inside hot buildings. I'm even miserable in super lightweight dry-fit sports shirts but at least they don't wrinkle and do dry in the AC car between appointments.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
With my recent move from a satellite office to our main office, I have had to dress more "professionally" than before. Being a larger fella this was an issue for me especially in this southeast heat we have. Thankfully, ties and jacket are not required, but an undershirt and collared shirt with slacks are. I chose lighter materials and shirts that offer room for movement and comfort.

I don't think a jacket should be required in anything but a "board room" meeting and should hit the coat rack shortly after. IMHO.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
268FE677-ADC2-4D46-AD21-1E7F1F08DBB2-48153-00005ADD3C0B4FC9_zps7f98a9f5.jpg
. It's so hot in S Louisiana that cats are lounging in water bucket. :rofl:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lookin' buff trailboss! :rofl:
Lol ... +1 for the Under Armor products though, they work well.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I live in the swamps of southeast Texas. At 11:30 a.m. grass is still soaking wet with the sun beating down on it. The bank says it is 112 degrees and it is so wet from humidity outside you can't look through the window to see what the dogs are barking at in the evening time. It is like looking through a shower door in a hot bathroom. A coat and tie would sour to the point the people would treat you like a smelly wet dog here. You would have to wear that type of clothing in an air conditioned environment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We're having cool and rainy in North Carolina in August after a hot'n'humid spell. Most unusual.

"Go figure," as they say. If the averages prevail, we may have a really warm start to September,

when we usually take the turn to cooler weather.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Hate to tell you all this but it's been gloriously cool here in VT! Mostly in the 70s, with 50s at night. Actually, this is one of the reasons we moved here. When we lived on LI and PA, we spent more time indoors in the summer than out due to the heat.
Anyway, not trying to rub it in! I know what it's like and I feel for all of you dealing with the intense heat.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
My wife got to go to Stowe, VT in October two years a go and loved it up there. It wasn't near as hot as Texas. They had to wear jackets there.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
How cold is VT in the winter. I am currently in south texas heat working on my fence gate in just shorts ( not a pretty sight) about to pass out from the heat. I ain't wearing no jacket. However in the afternoons the gulf breeze blows and it really feels pretty good in the shade. That is why I ussally smoke my pipe in the evening. At work I wear FRC cover all and it is miserable. I might try that under armor I have heard it works good.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Here in Houston with our 90/90 climate everyone turns into a sponge with feet .Trust me we don't need no stinkin jackets .But on the upside we have a good five months of awesome winter weather and laugh as the snow piles deeper up north .

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
LOL I have done the Tyvek / respirator and it was only about 93 that day. I thought I was going to die in my own personal sona and I was there for inspection / consulting so I wasn't done any of the actual hands on work. I felt bad for the guys actually struggling to work and get the job done in that get up.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
It may be hard to believe, but it actually gets hot here in southern New England – Connecticut. Today's high is supposed to be 90°F, but the humidity will only be around 40% today. I turned on the air conditioner when the temperature inside the house got up to 78°F, so right now I'm sitting here in a blissfully cool room, smoking my pipe. I'm blissfully retired, so I no longer wear a jacket and tie to work, but wish I had had the Under Armour compression T-shirts back in the day. However, I do have some thin-walled pipes, including this beauty made by Steve Morrissette:
811b34e7b5b26cf025854f862dcc1df8_zpsfe3ae865.jpg

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
We have been spared here in Hudson Valley of NY as Eric mentioned it does get pretty hot we are kind of close in proximity but it has been a pretty cool summer.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
It gets pretty warm in SPC land ( coastal Carolina ) but then we're in close proximity to the ocean so it's not bad. I smoke indoors at work so no issues. I smoke on the beach. I smoke on the balcony at my apartment but it's only brutal in the morning when the sun hits. But then I can tolerate the environment ( hot/cold ) pretty good.

If I were to wear a 3 piece and a hat ..... it would be challenging.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Like NumberSix in VT, we here in NH have been enjoying a relatively mild Summer. We've only had to use the air-conditioners a handful of times so far, and the grass is still mostly green (and I never water my lawn). So far so good.
As far as wearing jackets and ties, I put on the jacket as I exit my car and walk into the building, and remove the jacket a few minutes after the meeting starts. The tie comes off once I re-enter my car after the meeting. Not a fan of formal business attire, and I am grateful,I work from home most days, and usually business-casual at the office when I go in.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
My wife got to go to Stowe, VT in October two years a go and loved it up there. It wasn't near as hot as Texas. They had to wear jackets there.
VT in the fall is especially nice - glad to know you got up here.
How cold is VT in the winter.
Well, that's another story. We get beautifully cool summers usually, but very cold winters. Averages around 10-20 most days, but last winter it was often -20F below at night and some days a -5F for the high.
Too cold!

dwt63

Lurker
Jan 7, 2014
It's just the opposite here in the Louisiana swamp country: hot/humid summers and nice winters. I think I'll try one of the short-sleeve shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.