I LOVE Stonehaven. What Else Might I Like?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
First of all - I finally opened an 8oz bag of Stonehaven I bought last October. And wow!! I love this stuff! Before this I tended to gravitate to straight Virginias and VaPers. But I haven't explored many VaBurs. For Virginias my favorites are Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake and Dunhill Flake. In VaPers I'm a fan of Escudo, St. James Flake, and Rattray's Old Gowrie. I'm apparently not a big fan of Balkans, but they have a spot in my rotation along with some English blends like Dunhill Nightcap, Frog Morton Cellar and Squadron Leader.
But in VaBurs I haven't tried many. I'm into a tin of MacBaren Old Dark fired that I REALLY like, along with Stonehaven which is my current #1 favorite. But those are the only two VaBurs I think I've tried. I'm probably ordering some of the new MacBaren Bold Kentucky.
What else should I try in the VaBur range?
Thanks in advance.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Here's a few suggestions to scratch that VaBur itch:
C&D Burley Flake #2

C&D Briar Fox

GLP Jackknife Plug

GH Brown Flake

Peterson's Irish Flake

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
As it seems you favor flakes, you might want to sample:
  • Peterson Irish Flake & University Flake

Mac Baren Navy Flake

Cornell & Diehl Night Train & Exhausted Rooster

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

McConnell Scottish Flake

Savinelli Doblone d'Oro (coin format)

Sam Gawith Spring Time Flake

GL Pease Triple Play (plug)
None of these are the same as Stonehaven or ODF, but you'll probably enjoy them too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Wessex Burley Slices, Solani Aged Burley Flake, GLP Jack Knife Plug, GLP Triple Play, MacBaren Navy Flake, Peterson Irish Flake, C&D Exhausted Rooster, and Esoterica Tilbury, immediately come to mind.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks for the ideas guys. I just popped a tin of Briar Fox I had on hand. Ehh....ok. Not bad. I'll see if it grows on me. I also have Jack Knife Plug and it doesn't really trip my trigger either. I like the Triple Play idea, as I do like perique.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Try it after six or seven years, much better. I know that doesn't help you much now, but maybe snag an old tin from Pipestud if one comes around.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I thought Briar Fox and Triple Play each had quality evident, but for me, both failed on tastes.
I haven't had much like Stonehaven. I'm glad that I like it rather than love it, because it's pretty unique.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
Oh Jmatt; a substitute?

Stonehave is tobacco's House Of The Rising Sun.

Its been the ruin of many a poor boy, and Jmatt,you know, you're one.
Plugugly

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Perhaps also Black Treacle?

http://www.amazon.com/Tate-Lyle-Black-Treacle-454g/dp/B000BTEHRC#customerReviews

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
If you like Stonehaven you likely also appreciate Chateaux Margeaux, Ferrari, Armani, large denomination bundles of cash, and most defiantly flawless large carat diamonds... But the Ferrari isn't a certainty.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I haven't found anything that I would consider similar to Stonehaven. Glad I am lucky enough to have plenty, as it is my second favorite.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
You have already received many good suggests. I'd also suggestions...
Rattray's, Hal O' The Wynd and Marlin Flake

Heinrich Dark Strong Flake

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
LOL. Thanks for the recommendations AND the jokes. The Black Treacle (molasses) is a great joke. Stonehaven is so very rich and thick.
I've tried (and love) Rattray's Old Gowrie. How's that Hal O' the Wynd compare to Old Gowrie?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
HOTW is stronger more assertive than Old Gowrie, and a bit sharper too (has a sassy, "hotter", piquancy).

Both feature grassy Va's, and both are somewhat nutty; but I'd call Old Gowrie the more pedestrian of the two.
Although both blends supposedly have Perique, I wouldn't call either of them a VaPer per se because the Perique really isn't featured

I think it's used mainly to reduce the piquancy of the Virginias.
For me, the bottom line is: choose Old Gowrie as an anytime/all day smoke; choose HOTW when you need to break out of a routine with a bold smoke. They are clearly in the same family/genre, and I sometimes wonder why Rattray allows the redundancy in their product line.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think Capstan Blue, while not a substitute, also would appeal to a Stonehaven lover.

It's quite surprising that no one mentioned it as of this post. In fact, I think I was

somewhat remiss in not listing it among my initial recommendations. Of course, at over

$16 for a 50 gr. tin, maybe it was better left unmentioned. Wait for a sale.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
From tobaccoReviews on JF Germain Rich Dark Flake:
According to an email response from J. F. Germain and Son asking if they produced any other blend like Stonehaven, they replied that their Dark Flake is similar to Stonehaven, which is produced for Esoterica in the U.S. market only.
After some effort, I was able to order some RDF but it is in transit. (I hope) However, it may just as hard to acquire RDF in UK as it is to find Stonehaven in the US.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is my list of Vaburs that I cellar.
Solani Silver Flake

Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

GL Pease Navigator

Peterson Irish Flake, Perfect Plug and University Flake

Mac Baren Old Dark Fired

Stonehaven

Status
Not open for further replies.