PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juozapas

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2010
Barrie,Ontario,CANADA
I still love this blend from Mac Baren...the tiny flakes mixed in the pouch makes the grade for me....for sure. It is excellent in my Corn Cob !!

PA150017.jpg
PA150006.jpg

PA150012.jpg

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Joe,
I see you're prepared for the warning on that pouch by having the aspirin on the ready.
I have an unopened tin of the Vanilla Cream Flake that I'm looking forward to cracking open during the holidays (if I can hold out that long).

wecamps24

Lurker
Sep 24, 2010
I too have found MB Vanilla Cream Flake a wonderful smoke! It was the first flake I tried and even though I have tried (and have) others, I find myself going to this one more than the others.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Mmmm...
What? No. No! NOOOOO!!! TAD, where did you come from?!?! I thought I'd given you the slip.
TAD: Bwahahahahaa!
Simon

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
IMHO, MB Vanilla Cream either in the flake or the RR is the best aro on the market and I smoke a lot of it. It has none of the drawbacks of aros that many complain about, is not cloying and the room note is great.

philblum

Lurker
Oct 15, 2010
I agree, the MB Vanilla Cream is one of the finest Vanilla tobaccos. I still smoke this one while I have tried many others.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Looks like I'll have to try this... It sounds right up my alley. I will note, however, that while I've watched all of the videos HERE and tried each multiple times, and used ohin3's method HERE, I can't seem to get flakes packed the right way. It seems that I either pack too light and it burns super hot and bites, or I pack too firm, and it won't stay lit. Any insights here would be appreciated...
-Jason

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Lordnoble, since you have tried multiple packing methods for flake the only thing left for you to do is to keep practicing. You will eventually get the hang of it.
I do suggest the fully rubbed out and the cube cut methods to start with and once you get to where you have them down, then move on to the other methods.

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Could someone comment on the aromatics that others might smell in the surrounding area?
Thanks.

pens87

Lurker
Jul 24, 2010
Count me in as a Vanilla Cream groupie. There is a little bit of a flavor difference between the flake and loose cut but both are good. I try to keep both on hand. Normally smoke the loose cust, but like to keep some of the flake on hand for windier conditions outside.
Room note is nice. This is the one tobacco that really brought me back to the days of being around my great uncle smoking his pipe. That was a long time ago, and I don't know just what his preferred belnd was but VC is the closest to it that I've come across.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks, Bob. I'll keep trying. It may be the actual packing part that's throwing me. For instance, I fully rub out my flake so that there are small "crumb-like" pieces, medium and large-ish strands. I have tried different methods of packing (3-step, Frank, Bob, Air-Pocket, etc.) and I have to relight many times. I'm not averse to relights, but if after a puff or two the pipes is out, it gets old quick.
I think I may need to find some local flake smokers (or pipe smokers for that matter) to see how they do it...
-Jason
*Edit*- 250!! Woohoo!

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I didn't like it at all. Tasted like poor tobacco masked with perfume. But no point in arguing about taste. :)

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Tried this for the first time today and i gotta say its a great smoke. In fact reading this makes me want another bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.