PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I get my hair cut once every two months or so. Nothing crazy, just sorta buzzed short. But I love getting my hair cut. You want to know why? My hair dresser doesn't charge me. She also let's me choose if I want to sit inside or outside. If I choose outside, she let's me smoke while she works her magic. AWESOME. And the greatest part, is that I can say or do anything to my hairdresser that I want, and my wife seriously doesn't care. FULL RANGE. It is the Good life my friends...
Oh yeah, Did I mention my wife cuts my hair at home?
:puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My wife has been a Hairdresser for 50 yrs and has been cutting my hair all that time, she hates sometimes that I say hey take it easy, I'm not those old people at the nurseing home, she sprays my hair and I say you're overdoing it, she says I hate to cut your hair all you do is complain, I say half those old farts you do are half dead and they don't have enough stamina to complain. All this is said in jest , makes the cut interesting, when she asks me how I want it cut, I howl in laughter , like your not gonna cut it like you want. If the haircut was recorded people would think we hate each other but it's been a tradition for 50 yrs for me to give her A hard time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have a local place called Sports Cuts. Think "Hooters" plus a place to get a haircut and shave.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I was working on the Charlie Daniels look. Wife wanted me to get my hair and beard lopped off for when the kids came here. Willy, our overbearing, slobbering, loving doggie had never seen anyone cut anyone's hair. He must of thought Xuan was tearing body parts off me and throwing them on the floor. Poor doggie was killing me with love trying to protect me.

Oh, he peed on the floor, too. We got him from a shelter. Came to us totally housebroken. Saw the backyard and claimed it for his own, but he couldn't help it when daddy was getting big red and white body parts lopped off.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I would love it if my wife would be willing to cut my hair. I can not complain, however, as she has been my steady rock for these last twenty six years.

azpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2015
Ditto. Wife went to cosmotology school prior to getting her license in massage therapy. I haven't paid for a haircut in 16 years :)

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
When we were kids we got paid by grandpa to get a haircut. He was a noted barber in Saint Louis at the Congress Hotel, now an old folks home. If y'all don't mind a story or two with a pic, here goes:
Grandpa had cut a lot of the Cardinals' hair, like George Sisler. He cut Cary Grant's Hair when he was still Archie Leach. Willie Mays walked into his shop in 1968 when blacks were challenging white barbers to cut their hair or explain why they couldn't. Grandpa told Willie that he didn't have the technique to handle a "colored person's" hair. Willie thanked him, very nicely, and left.
I can prove none of that, but I can this: Allan Jones, who took over for Zeppo Marx when he quit, would come and have grandpa cut his hair. For the youngsters, Allan was Jack Jones' father. When Grandpa was about 70, we were over his house playing cards when he got a call. He said, "I'm sorry, but I'm retired." Almost in tears, after he hung up, he said that was Allan Jones calling him, asking where he could get a good haircut. This is one of four pics signed to Grandpa
Just noticed the Pipe! Eyes aren't so keen. Wonder what his blend was!
allan3.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ya, I started cutting my own hair at least 30 yrs ago. Time is money, but money is not life.

From my avatar, you probably can't even tell that I've never been to barber school.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Really interesting stories here, thanks for sharing. My dad was cutting my hair when I was a kid, but then I grew up. I have a very nice barber who is also one of the best friends of mine. See, mine is not that interesting :)

seagullplayer

Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I'm 52 and I don't think I have ever paid for a haircut.
When I was a kid my parents paid for it.
Then later my mother cut hair.
And for the last 30 years my wife has done it.

She has owned her own shop most of that time.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
OH, you want barber STORIES?

Back when I was a kid we had a town oval and the main roads converged there. The businesses were all around the oval, with 2 drugstores, 2 hardware stores, the 5&10, the theater, a print media outlet, we called the paper store, 3 shoe shops, a donut shop, a diner, a primarily men's clothing store, a women's clothing store, and 3 or FOUR barbershops with poles!

One guy could buzz you off (we kids) in about 5 minutes, and still make a deal on a shotgun or a rifle while he did it.

He was always busy as heck on Saturdays with fathers and sons and regulars just shooting the trade winds.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I remember the first time a barber put hot lather on the back of my neck, and trimmed my neck hair with a straight razor. I knew I was a man then....I was eight. :mrgreen:

Sounds great Didi.
There used to be a barber in Tuscaloosa called Mike's. It was more of men's hangout. He had cigars, tons of newspapers, and men seemed to just linger there all day. He was a little more expensive than most barbers, but it was where you could go to hear all of the behind the scenes stuff on the Alabama coaching staff, as they were always dropping in. Now, there's no place like that, that I know of.
My daughter is in cosmetology school. I'm looking forward to free (well, actually the school is actually sort of expensive) haircuts.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I go to this barber shop run by two old Russian boys. A haircut is $8 and a shave is another $10 which for NY is pretty cheap. My only issue is these two former residents of the Soviet Union can only do Soviet style haircuts which suits me fine but does rather limit their potential market.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
We once had an old Trapper who hung out at the local pool hall, after the trapping season he came to town, hair down to his shoulders, big beard, he made like he was a deaf mute and panhandled all his buddies at the pool hall and along Main Street. Then he went to the local Barber shop, got a haircut and a shave and his buddies realized who he was, it was such a hoot the local newspaper wrote a story as to how his buddies had financed his clean up. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.