PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Yesterday afternoon I lost my best friend of over 20 years, he lost his fight against lung cancer... At 4:40 pm he took his last breath as I held his hand. 

I can feel my heart broken and truly heavy but my head feels like its in a fog... Not sure if I'm in denial or what but I keep thinking that I'm going to go see him at the hospice but then I remember... My friend doesn't exist anymore and then my eyes get watery and back to the fog.

This was the man that was at the birth of my kids, hell he was the first person after my wife and I, to hold my daughter when she was born 18 years ago. We helped Escher through the hard times that we each had and celebrated the good one. We traveled across this country several times together and spend countless hours just sitting around smoking and talking about politics, religion, philosophy and just some of the stupidest shit that you can imagine two knuckleheads could come up with. We called each other stupid and we looked like two grumpy old men when we were out in public, lol, in fact we always thought we would grow old and be THOSE old men sitting around bickering and yelling at everyone.

He was diagnosed in December 2013 with stage 4 lung cancer, I still remember that night, he came right from the hospital and I could see the fear in his eyes... I obviously knew something was wrong... He'd been in allot of pain and had grown less and less active the last few years.

At that time I converted the garage into a bedroom for him and he moved in...  And for the next 19 months, my family and I took care of him, took him to chemo, doctors appointments... But the last few months he deteriorated quite a bit and I just couldn't take care of him the way he needed,  he was 6' 3" and the last week or so I carried him to the latrine, yeah he was 120 lbs... He was basically bones... So three weeks ago we talked and decided it was time to head into hospice since the doctor said all they could do was pain management ... He went in and I was there everyday... I really thought we had at least a couple of months, but it turned into 3 weeks. Both his mother and I were with him during his final breaths and he held my hand to the end when he just slipped away.

I don't know...I feel like I'm just rambling . I'm truly sorry to unburden myself here, but since I moved to CA I haven't made any friends here and I don't want to burden my wife on top of the sadness she's already feeling.
R.I.P. Robert "Stupid" Felts... I'm just glad your no longer in pain.

K

klause

Captain, I'm sorry for your loss- my sympathies and condolences.
Bless you and your family.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I am truly sorry to hear of your loss. A very good friend of mine (only 52 years old) found out he had advanced lung cancer about a year ago. The doctors told him the truth: even with the most aggressive treatments they could provide, his number was up. He was a fighting man, my friend Mike Miller, and gave it all he had. Unfortunately, only a scant few months after his diagnosis, he contracted pneumonia and was shortly taken home. I regret every single time we had wanted to get together, but one or the other of us couldn't make it due to work, schedule, or whatever. Like you, I am glad his pain is over, but I miss him bitterly. He was a very ethical man, who stood by my side in many a fight in our job where "management" wanted to do something unethical, and we simply wouldn't let it happen, consequences be damned. So, I truly understand your pain, my friend. I do not live in CA, but if there is anything I can do to help you out, please let me know.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
So sorry for your loss. As for the "head in the fog" and forgetting he's gone, it gets better. I lost my mom to breast cancer 12 years ago, and my dad to COPD 13 months later. There are still times when the phone rings and I expect to hear their voices.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When we see people through, we gain insight on the preciousness of life. You offered magnificent support to your friend and his mother, and he did to you as well. There's a dark time when there is nothing but the absence. But then the departed come back with all the riches their life gave you. From the book "Tuesdays with Maurie" I recall the quote (paraphrase), "Death ends a life but not a relationship." You, your friend, his mom, all lived that out full throttle. Bravo.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I hope everyone has someone like you at the end. Hang in there and lite one up for "Stupid". :)

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Your words have touched me. Life is short and we need to spend more time with our family and friends. You will always have your memories of your best friend.
"Blessed are they who mourn for they shall be comforted".

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Adding on to what MSO said, he lives on in you. As long as you live, he's part of you, your family. I feel your loss but envy the relationship you had. If only we all had a friend like that. You are forever blessed. I am thinking of you, and will for quite some time. Thank you for your post.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
We should all be blessed to have a friend like that. Friends like that are just family that we aren't blood related to, and are sorely missed when they are gone. My prayers and deepest sympathies.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
My condolences. I would be blessed to have a friendship like you describe. My thoughts are with you.

P

pipebuddy

You are a great friend. My heart goes out to you on your loss.
I would add on to this great comment: you are a true friend. And your family obviously loved him too. And I am sorry for your loss. Real friends come very scarcely in this day and age. You have had something that only a few people in this world have.
Cherish those moments you shared with your best friend. God bless; and hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.