PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Any of you guys seen a movie recently and just said to yourself what the heck? Why did I watch this? Well it just happened to me again and has left a horrible taste in my mouth that not even this gold blend can help. I just finished watching "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" and all I can say is thank god I watched this on HBO and didn't spend $30 bucks at the movies. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the entire series of films and even managed to stomach the remake, but this was complete drivel. At first I was intrigued by the concept, but in the end everything is left up in the air. The whole uprising turns into some possible not definitive human pandemic and the survival of these new intelligent apes. That manage to survive even after trying to not kill most of the humans. The whole thing just felt wrong and now I'm left with more questions than answers. I preferred the twist in the form the orignal film than to be teased like this... The films only redeeming factor in my pinion resides in the referrence to the Icarus spacecraft on its way to Mars and then becoming lost in space which is about 90 seconds of actual footage. If you are a fan of the original films please do not waste your time.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I liked the originals a lot.

Didn't care for the remakes at all.

I just don't get remaking a classic movie.

I mean can you imagine a remake of Casablanca with Tom Cruise in the leading role?

I can't.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
I, too, wasted the time watching that one. Not all remakes are bad, just the majority of them lol

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
The Thing remake wasn't too bad, Al Pacino's Scarface was actually a remake too.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Please allow me to suggest a way to (un-waste) two more hours.
I was a little leery of a submarine movie in which stars Jon Bon Jovi... :roll:

However; when I watched U-571 I was impressed...

Good movie.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Maybe next we can get "Gone with the Wind" remade with the cast of the Twilight movies. Except, then they'll rename it something like "The Dusk Twinkles Over Dixie" to appeal to the 'Emo' demographic.
Oh, or maybe "Sighs of the South"...

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I was a little leery of a submarine movie in which stars Jon Bon Jovi...

However; when I watched U-571 I was impressed...

Good movie.
not a bad submarine movie... but Das Boot is THE BEST submarine movie... it will take 3 hours of your life to watch that one though. Oh and Down Periscope. Of all the submarine movies, that two are probably the most acurate... Even though Down Periscope is a spoof it's pretty close to the stuff we did on the submarine.
Hunt for Red october... BS

Crimson Tide... Crap

K19 widowmaker... joke

I could go on but... I have stolen this thread too much already.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Das Boot is THE BEST submarine movie... it will take 3 hours of your life to watch that one though. Oh and Down Periscope. Of all the submarine movies, that two are probably the most acurate... Even though Down Periscope is a spoof it's pretty close to the stuff we did on the submarine.

I'll have to watch Das Boot...

I have Down Periscope on DVD. Sonar's my favorite character... Oh, sorry... That's "Mike". :rofl:

Jul 15, 2011
I have Down Periscope on DVD. Sonar's my favorite character... Oh, sorry... That's "Mike"
Bruce Dern, and the ever legendary William H. Macy, combined with Kelse Grammers dry humor make that movie a classic in my book.
"Think like a pirate. I want a man with a tattoo on his @#!&. Have I got the right man?" "....By a strange coincidence, you do sir." :rofl:

gisboro

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I felt the same way after watching the Thin Red Line, except it was three hours lost.
Das Boot is some serious stuff...
We used to watch all the Sub movies while at sea, just to remind us how difficult our Sub life really was. LOL

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
When Saveing Private Ryan came out my 2 sons wanted me to go to the movie with them, I was undecided and afraid it would bring back memories, when the corpsman got shot and was dying and calling for his Mother my chest got tight I couldn't"t breathe I jumped up and literally ran out the theather , I went back in after a while but my heart wasn"t in it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Movies these days can be very disappointing. I haven't been to the theater since Dark Knight Rises, great movie btw. I intended to see The Hobbit but was too busy working. I'll probably watch "Oz: The Great And Powerful" once it hits Netflix. That looked like a pretty good prequel and with that dude from Spider Man and Pineapple Express in it, his name escapes me right now, it should be pretty decent. I might end up seeing Iron Man 3 sometime soon. My girl loves them and I liked the first two. I'm also stoked that Despicable Me 2 is coming out. I'm such a 90s kid in loving cgi animated movies.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
LOTPR, you’re thinking of James Franco, also from Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which I thought was okay, not great. Don’t get me started on that Tim Burton Planet of the Apes...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I loved the original "Apes" movies, hated the Mark Wahlberg remake. . . but really enjoyed "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." I thought the effects were fantastic, and I especially appreciated the twists that this reboot -- it's not a remake or a sequel -- brought to the familiar storyline.
I not only didn't count it time wasted, I picked up the Blu-ray and have enjoyed it -- and all of the behind-the-scenes supplements -- a number of times.
Bob

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Actually Oz the great and powerful was awesome, the 3D is amazing in it and even the movie itself is great. I read the reviews too and while watching the movie it reminded me that pretty much every movie I've ever liked I haven't read a review for, or it's gotten a bad review. I remember the OZ reviewer putting in all this crap about "It makes you wonder what could have been an amazing performance had Robert Downey Jr. been cast as Oz, so we're left with James Franko and I have to wonder what the movie could have been"

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
I was feeling the same way about a week ago when my wife and I watched The life of Pi. She liked it but for me, two hours I will never get back.

Status
Not open for further replies.