I just got kicked in the head!......& I liked it!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
So I've been smoking pipes since I was 18/19 or so (I'm now 43) always ran with the stronger blends here in Britain flakes,twists & the like. My father & grandfather used to smoke copius amounts of condor & St. Bruno with those beloved yet diminished blends I sowed my oats so to speak,developing into a better (for me anyway) rotation of revor plug/Irish flake/1792etc.etc. My other grandfather God bless him departed this earth before entrusting me with his staple smoke(40 years one brand man)due to the fact I was still a toddler. Gallahers rich dark honeydew is what he used to smoke my mother somewhat tearfully replied to my enquiry one day. Well after some 15-20 years of hoping to come across a decent tin I got one! Ebay today I love & respect all that you do. Popped upon the tin, perfect condition,pretty little sugary crystals covering a finely cut dark shag tobacco. Not damp nor moist even but not dry either so straight into a pipe it went. Upon lighting immediate recognition of a quality tobacco, but slightly sweet,musty....& strong, I mean STRONG! I really did feel a bit of a head spin for a moment, honestly & I'm used to strong stuff. Maybe it's the age of the baccy or I didn't eat enough I don't know but I loved it. Thankyou gallahers, thankyou ebay, thankyou grandpa one of the finest smokes I've had.

backwoodsjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2015
Central Minnesota
Simnog,
Interesting story, it is rich with history. I don't know what my grandfather smoked, I'm suspecting "Albert" since I have a tin that came with the pipes I inherited.
It would be nice to smoke Grandfather's favorite blend. A nice connection to the past. I do have a few pipes to enjoy, and it connects me with those who came before me.
Smoke on.

trumpetboy

Lurker
Jun 15, 2011
I remember occasionally smoking this in Australia in the late 70's and 80's before it disappeared.

Yep, it was a real "head trip"---very strong indeed!

You had to really make sure to go slowly and carefully or the room would start spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.