I just doubled the size of my pipe collection for $40!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Just received my "grab bag" along with a shire cobbit from Missouri Meerscham today:
uBNqcy6.jpg

I've never smoked a cob before. I can't wait to get home and try one out!

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Well, guess you wont be able to say you haven't smoked a cob before anymore - looks like that will be all your smoking now! :lol:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You will enjoy those babies for sure. They do well with any blend. You got TWO wooden bottomed pipes in YOUR grab bag! Nice looking arrangement. You may find yourself modifying the bent stems a little using gentle candle heat and a pipe cleaner. They tend to catch the cleaner at the bend.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I think the 10 pipes that came in the grab bag were $29. For that price I figured they would be a good pipe to smoke while I'm putzing around in my wood shop. From what I can tell they are only seconds because of minor chips on the bowl. If you look at the pipes in the bottom center and just to the right you'll see a chip on the bowl of each.
newbroom - thanks for the recommendation on the stems. I may play around with adjusting them. I also didn't even notice that two of them had wood bases.
I noticed that all of them except the cobbit came with rolled up paper in the stem. I'm assuming that is a filter. Does anyone use those?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice batch of cobs. You'll probably wind up smoking them everywhere, not just in the shop. They are seriously that easy to fall in love with. The paper filters are used by some, hated by some. I don't use them; I get better results without.
Newbroom- Have you ever used the hot water method for bending MM stems? Works great, and no danger of scorch marks. As soon as the bend is where I want it, I dunk it in a glass of ice water to "set" the bend. Works with vulcanite, too. Just make sure the water is at or near a boil.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
aldecaker, no, that didn't cross my mind, but I'm sure it's fool proof.

bernie2, those cobs will have some wood in the stems that you could trim off or just burn off...sometimes the stems are slightly twisted, too. They'll all smoke great. The filters will catch a lot of moisture and do make the draw more 'sip friendly' when they're still new. I don't use em, but I have.

I'm still in the 'big idea' mode of doing something about filling those filter stems shanks and making a more traditional airway...on the order of 5/32 "

There are some stems available for the MM pipes that people rave about, and they cost more than the pipes, most of em...the Freehand is kinda costly for a cob, but it's a beaut of a pipe. It comes with a semi polished vulcanite stem, if I'm not mistaken. It's definitely an upgrade from the plastic stems. I like the plastic ones though, because they're soft.

That also is their downfall. I tend to close them up through clenching, but I heat them and open them back up.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Aristocob sells those Freehand stems for about $8. I bought four from him, but only used one on a cob. I can't remember if it came at 5/32 or if I drilled it out, but either way, it turned a Country Gent into a smoking machine! It sounds like that might be the type of combo you're after.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Those are all the pipes you'll ever need, but us pipe acquisition disorder (PAD) people don't talk that way much.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
First few cob smokes tonight have been excellent!
knGTbmo.jpg

This is also my third night smoking English blends. I really am enjoying them! I'm amazed at all the flavors that keep revealing themselves during and after the smoke.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Try retrohaling those english blends to get the full effect. I also agree, cobs are great! No break in, and they smoke dry from the get go.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a nice batch of cobs there for sure. Enjoy and smoke the heck out of em! :puffy:

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I just received 2 Legend straight and 2 Legend bent. I will try them out this weekend. I have never smoked a cob before. What type of tobacco should I smoke in them first?
I also got 2 Ozark maple hardwoods. Has anyone used these?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The MM hardwoods are great smokers. Trust me, though, you're definitely going to want to sand the stain out of the inside of the bowl before smoking. The wood imparts a pleasant taste to the first few smokes; the burning stain reminds me of pictures of Tommies undergoing a gas attack in WWI.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Chasingmembers...I had to pull up YouTube to figure out what retrohaling was. :)
That's how I've always smoked cigars. I just didn't realize that was what it was called.
BTW...I love how these cobs are darkening up even after the first smoke.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
Chasingmembers...quit giving me new words to look up! This hobby is supposed to be relaxing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.