PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
So I packed a pipe this morning before I went out to shovel the snow in my driveway. Was kind of a quick thumb packed job w/ FM Cellar. Now up to this moment I haven't been able to get the packing down to minimize the relights. During my time shoveling I did the initial light and then tamp and relight.....stayed lit pretty much through the whole bowl. I was puffing a little fast but I feel I do that with every bowl. Normally I've been sitting in my garage listening to a sports podcast and enjoying the bowl and never stay lit for long. I go outside and put in a little work and maybe it was puffing a little fast, maybe the pack job. I just don't get it, but I don't think I've ever dropped the tobacco in and just packed it with my thumb. Maybe that's what I need to do......I'm just hoping the snow shoveling had nothing to do with it.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Apparently you just need to shovel snow every time you smoke.
Seriously it probably has more to do with not focusing on smoking than any particular thing.
I know that I seem to have less re-lights if I'm doing something else while I'm smoking (reading, surfing the web, something that takes my focus off the pipe).
Same thing with the packing. The less I think about it, the better it seems to burn.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
As far as I can tell, packing is a very much a touch / feel thing. Maybe you are starting to get the feel for it.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
That and the extra movement during shoveling increases airflow to the bowl which stokes the embers so to speak.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Yep, Rob has the right of it, and I think clickklick is correct as well. The greater air movement out-of-doors probably also helped. My best smokes are generally had when I am outside and not thinking about the act of smoking.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
It gets very hot and humid in the summer in Jiangsu Province and we all know that air conditioning is the machine of the devil when it comes to sucking all the lif out of the air. But having a smoke on a veranda in the evening is a revelation. Oxygen. Is the key.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Was it windy/breezy out?

Wind would fan the flame so to speak along with what the other fellows mentioned.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Pipes actually only stay lit if you are shoveling snow. Sorry.... looks like every time you want a bowl to last, your going to have to shovel.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
it could be the back. I think it might also have to do with the wind keeping the cherry hot to keep it lit. I know that is usually what happens to me if i am out smoking on a breezy day.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Well hopefully it was more from wind and not shoveling. I love MInnesota with all my heart, but I don't miss those winters here in Viriginia!!

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I work outside a lot and find bowls always burn better outside. Airflow I guess. Watch the heavy puffing though ... don't want tongue bite.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
There is a Zen anecdote which runs like this: A Zen Master was supervising his disciple's calligraphy one day. The disciple had practiced and practiced and was technically very gifted. His characters were elegant, sinuous and flowing. Every time he wrote the character for "nothingness", he would look to his master for approval. But the master would simply sigh and say "Be the brush, be the ink, be the paper! Dont write, surrender to the writing!" The disciple took umbrage at this advice- he knew his calligraphy was flawless. Over and over this process repeated itself until the Master shouted, "No! No! You will never be the calligraphy if you cling to your mind!" Another disciple then asked the master to attend to an administrative matter and as he rose to go outside, the disciple quickly wrote "I hate this lesson." The master turned, saw the calligraphy and said "Finally, you understand."

Status
Not open for further replies.