PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
This used to be a chore with pipe cleaners and alcohol. Holding them under a stream of hot water and drying with paper towels did an excellent job.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hooo-AaaaaaH! That's the way to go.
For almost a century retailers and some makers were trying to sell you alcohol with some "sweetener" or other. Of course, many of them resorted to stating that water was to be avoided at great peril. Such bull.
And, Michael, I have even resorted to not drying either the chamber or the airway a lot of the time. Saves another ten minutes. Of course, it's way drier on average here than in Alabama. But in the winter time, indoors with a bit of central heating, your RH may be below 50%. (Is it?)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I’m with Crash. I still can’t bring myself to do it. But I’m tempted.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I often rinse out my pipes and dry with a paper towel after a smoke once they cool down. I tried it the first time a few months ago when jpmcwjr mentioned it in another thread.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I don't think this totally replaces an inevitable deep cleaning. But it keeps the pipe way cleaner in between those deep cleanings and extends the time in between. I haven't seen any downside whatsoever thus far.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Wolf, chasingembers mentioned that, but it would have to be very very hot water. It has never happened to any of my stems, and I’ve been doing this for well over a year.
Thanks for the reply, Cosmic.
My curiosity is peaked.

Do you rinse it with the stem on the pipe?

Do you dry it with the stem on the pipe?

Does anybody know if some stem materials are more susceptible to discoloration from hot water than others?

Jan 8, 2013
If you wash your pipes with water, how do you justify all the different rums you keep on the work bench?
Thank you Trouttimes, for pointing that out. That is a very important point. See? You're fitting in just fine here :clap:

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I prefer to water my pipes and drink my alcohol. This works best for me.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I tried the water rinse on an estate I am cleaning up and on one of my regular smokers. Seems to work well

Status
Not open for further replies.