PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
For some reason I'm all over the place with my tobacco choices right now. Yesterday I started with 4Noggins Owl's Head, a really nice English blend with the perfect amount of Latakia for my palate. Then I moved on to some Old Gowrie for the peppery VaPer kick. Then I moved on to Captain Black Dark for something sweet. There's no method to my madness or any particular reason for my choices, I just look at the tobacco stash and randomly pick something that appeals to me. Anyone else go on these wild tobacco "mood swings" like I have been of late?
As they say, variety is the spice of life, so I'm not complaining, just wondering if anyone else does this screwed up selecting like I do?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Sometimes that's the reason for me too, but last night all three actually were very satisfying.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It sounds like you're having fun playing with your tobacco stores and are pulling tobacco based on whim/mood/desire which is a pretty cool spot to be in. Up until recently my cellar has been pretty one dimensional, with the majority of tobacco being English blends in varying degrees of latakia potency. But when I won Chris' auction on briar bid he sent up a selection of Virginias, so I've been having fun playing with those.
I am trying to be disciplined in how I approach these, meaning I'm intentionally moving through the samples one tobacco at a time. I'm smoking them from pipes dedicated to Virginias, and am taking notes before and after the smoke to get a handle on what I do and don't like.
If I weren't doing this, I'd be selecting tobacco EXACTLY like you do... Stare at the collection, and determine which feels right, for right now.
Sounds like good times bro.
-- Pat

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I bounce around to what suits me. But with a little method. I put the latakia blends last so my pallette is fresher to taste the rest.

B

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That intuitive randomness is one of the good things about having "too much" tobacco. I wouldn't even

think of it as indecision or feel stress at all. Just let the right side of your brain (supposedly the irrational

creative side) lead the way. Remember, too, you can mix blends; I do this in small quantities, just in a

ceramic bowl, a pipe bowl or three in quantity, at a time. The other approach is to have a ritual, with a

certain predetermined rotation, specific tobaccos at set times of day. That's kind of nice too. But

an erratic rotation is a good thing, to enjoy.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've always been random like that, and possibly always will. Life would be easier if I liked just a few blends and stuck with it, but I like the variety involved with the pipe.
Makes it difficult to build a cellar for the future though.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
"Makes it difficult to build a cellar for the future, though."
+1 Ghost!
I've been buying samples of a bunch of different things recently, but am just now starting to define my go-to blends. Hopefully soon I can start building my cellar.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Makes it difficult to build a cellar for the future though.
Or to clear out some space for new blends I'd like to try... I have a couple that I definitely want to keep in rotation, but clearing out the ones I don't like as much borders on a chore.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I thought I was the only one Brian, I too am the same way I'm just going to try and smoke out my blends one at a time instead of opening everything and trying it if I crave it and its done ill order more.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
The cellaring thing is my difficulty at the moment. I have a fairly large selection that I'm choosing from but I don't really have a "lot" of anything. My biggest cellaring has been done with Escudo, Rattray's BagPipers Dreams, Frog Morton Cellar, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake and Carter Hall. And by no means are they big.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to keep working through my selection of samples at random! I am nowhere near organized enough to take notes or build a set rotation. For that matter, I barely remember what pipes I've "dedicated" to which blends. Smoke em if you got em I guess!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Andrew, I can't seem to make myself smoke that much of a single blend at a time. At 1-2 bowls per day that means a week or more of the exact same blend......sounds far too boring to me. Plus I find that as I smoke more Vapers that my simple burley blend sings a little more. Or if I'm smoking a lot of Virginias then the smokiness of a Latakia blend seems to hit the spot and breaks up the similar flavour profiles.
Maybe I just have adult onset ADD! :crazy:

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I am completely opposite in that way. if i switch blends frequently they will all just taste the same but if i smoke on blend for a week and switch to another for the next week, the same blends always surprise me with something new. But screw it if you having fun with it than whats the issue. :wink:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Ahhh Brian, what do they say, variety is the spice of life? I am impressed that you at least have a clue about what you like. I on the other hand am all over the place. I never think of what I want to smoke (except maybe FMC with a whiskey after dinner)or why, nor have I dedicated pipes to blends. I still think of myself as a major noob and have a LONG way to go to find enlightenment :)
Glad you are enjoying your journey :puffy:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, at least most of you have a sense of what you're doing. English blends, Latakias, and forth are still alien to me. Like a child clutching at a blanket, I've been sticking to the safe, known, aromatic tins like Molto Dolce, Bella Vanilla, Captain Black Gold, and lately Carter Hall, which I add to the aromatics to take away the tongue bite. Also I got a selection from Wilke, but haven't found anything that really struck my interest. I'm still looking for that magic "go to" blend; for now, it's been the Molto.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
So far, I've been able to exercise some self-control when it comes to how many blends I have open at a time, which keeps the choices to a minimum, but then again I don't smoke much besides latakia blends. We'll see how long this lasts.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Sparrow, Latakia has been something I've only really dabbled in. As a starter blend I'd suggest trying Frog Morton Cellar which is a fantastic introduction into the world of Latakia. I'm a new pipe smoker so most of my "cellar" is really a bunch of 2oz samples. However, I am starting to recognize what I like. Favourite category being Virginia/Perique blends, followed closely by straight Virginias. I have so far liked 3 different English blends, Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, 4Noggins Owl's Head and McClelland's Modern English. I put FMC into a separate category by itself. I also like specific types of aromatics, mainly more old school style aros that are more infused with flavourings vs. doused in them. Specific favourites there are Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream, McClelland Grey Havens, Amphora Red and the new Captain Black Dark.
Dan, I really don't have anything figured out and I too feel like a total noob still. Good to see you back online sir! Remember, it's only 15 or so hours to Toronto for a meetup!!
EDIT: Oh ya, and the blend I've hands down smoked the most of is Carter Hall. Plain old tobacco taste with a nice room note that is easy on the pocket book and tongue!

Status
Not open for further replies.