PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
So my brand new, $375 ($460CAD all told) Ferndown Pipe showed up in the mail today. It's a nice beefy bulldog (I know, this thread is worthless without pics, they'll get here eventually) with two silver spigot stems, one normal and one Churchwarden (naturally).
The Briar looks good, but the polish on the hardware honestly isn't the best I've ever seen, and there actually is some heat colouration on the collar on the shank, but what tipped the boat was one of the silver stem tips was mostly covered in tarnish. Not being familiar with Silver, all I saw was a piece of metal with dark splotches all over it, you could see scratches and the weld was obvious.

Thus the tile of this thread, I was nearly convinced I had received some sort of a second. Justifying not returning it was the primary thought on my mind throughout the afternoon.

Thankfully I'm old enough to know now that nine times out of ten, when I'm in a fuss about something or feel ripped off, it's actually my fault or at most a trivial mistake.

After some time I put the pieces together, whipped up a baking soda bath, rubbed on some Paragon wax, and there we go, the shiny product in everyone else's pictures. No great injustice here, just a bit of oxidation during travel.

(Note: I only had to dip the silver in the bath for a few seconds, I was careful not to expose it or the Ebonite for too long.)
Also, I must put in a good word for the retailer, Pipes2smoke.com

That man knows his craft. Prices are good (definitely compare with James Barber though), the purchase felt highly personal, shipping was extremely fast, and I love the political commentary.

Highly recommended.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
Good silver tarnishes up really fast, but cleans up easily. I would expect a retailer to polish that up before shipping out a pipe, but it's no big deal in the end. I love Maas Metal Polish for the silver in my pipes as well as my good lighter and my actual silverware. Just a tiny dab of the paste takes the tarnish right off with no effort at all.
edit: And do get some pics up too! I just bought a Ferndown bulldog recently myself and I love it.

Oh oh oh... arrrrg, as a jeweler I repair more things that were destroyed by "silver polish" than anything else. It eats away a layer of your metal, a substantial layer. My advise is throw that stuff in the trash or whatever EPA approved dispenser that is handy. Get a polishing cloth. ANY POLISHING CLOTH.
Those dip or rub on polishes eat away a substantial layer, and with a dozen or so dips in that toxic stuiff will leave you with barely any metal at all. However, with a polishing cloth, just a few wipes and the metal is clean, and you can use them to polish your stems and even the briar. It has a very, very light abrasive that is designed to remove the oxides without removing much of the bonded atoms of silver. Your pipes will love them, and so will you. They work great on your jewelry, brass lighters, and silverware. And, they last almost forever.
I abuse the heck out of my pipes, left on in the car dashboard all day, tossed about, stored in front of a window, but I hit them with the polishing cloth after every smoke, and they look great. None of my vulcanite has ever had an issue, and most are estate pipes that I've been abusing for a few years now.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
^^ Good advice. I have more than my share of polishing cloths and they work like a charm. A little tarnish is nothing, albeit it can at times looks a tad nasty. Silver can tarnish by simply looking at it, but it's nothing to get all concerned about and it's an easy fix with a simple wipe with a proper polishing cloth.

Mar 1, 2014
-cosmicfolklore
that toxic stuiff will leave you with barely any metal at all.
Are you talking about Baking Soda or something else? 'Cause the baking soda worked quite well, and I suspect it's a long ways from being toxic, though you may very well be right about it working too fast.
I'm starting to think that "heat colouration" on the shank is actually just some deep oxidation. How do you recommend getting it off?

Mar 1, 2014
So, apparently the electrochemical solution I used actually reverses oxidation (or in this case removes sulphur atoms) instead of actually polishing anything. Sounds ideal.

(Note, from what I've read Baking Soda will still eat ebonite.)

If you are both just talking about baking soda, then I totally misunderstood what you two meant by metal polish. But of course, it isn't going to be as effective as a polishing cloth. Baking soda would be just an abrasive, as the alkalinity would not have any effect on the silver. A polishing cloth would be quick and take less elbow grease.
I apologize. I thought that you meant one of those tubes of acidic paste, or one of those dips that you can buy in a jar. Those were the worst idea for marketing to the public, ever. People have lost priceless heirlooms or dissolved the hallmark off of their silver serving sets because of that stuff.
Although silver is a favorite for pipes. It does tend to oxidize quickly around sulfides, which you will find in tobacco smoke. I also find that it collects tars quickly, and this is why I like to have a polishing cloth handy. It will keep the rest of your pipe spiffy as well.
As for the shank... I'd have to see it. But, if it was smoked hard enough to scorch the outside of the shank, then it is most likely charred.

Mar 1, 2014
Sorry, the Shank was definitely just tarnished, I did another "Aluminum+Electrolyte" bath and it took most of the discolouration away, I'm left with just a little bit of yellowing.

http://scifun.chem.wisc.edu/homeexpts/TARNISH.html
Knowing that you can reverse tarnish an indefinite number of times actually makes me feel very comfortable about owning silver hardware.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
So.. what exactly is in a polishing cloth that gives it the ability to remove tarnish? Is it chemically treated with something or is it more like a super fine sand paper (like a 2000 grit)? Never used one before.
BTW... Beautiful looking pipe ya got there!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know anything about silver fittings on pipes, but this Fern' is plain gorgeous. Even the stamp

is superior -- deep, bold, and clear, with complete info. I dearly love a good bulldog, and this one

pulls out all the stops.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I'm not a fan of bulldog shapes in general, but with that churchwarden stem and silver military mount... oh man! :clap:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Michael, I made that mistake with jewelry cleaner once. Had a silver pendant and would drop it in the solution for a few minutes and take it out, no issues. Once I left it in over night...ruined it.

Lesson learned.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
1. Thanks for not actually having a kitten.
2. Good plug for pipes2smoke. I have seen awesome pipes there, but haven't pulled the trigger. I may now.
3. Thanks for causing a discussion that resulted in me going out to get a cloth and not polish.
Knowledge is power!

Mar 1, 2014
I had my first bowl in it, some nice dry seven month old FVF.
First thing to note, those walls are really thick, this thing will not be getting uncomfortably hot (and no, I'm not going to go and pretend it's invincible).

Second, no Zippo with this pipe (at least not a regular one), I got just a hint of singeing on the rim, for which I'm glad since it was bound to happen and I won't be OCD about it now, but matches are probably my best bet for keeping the flame in the middle.
Best thing is after a little over an hour with the pipe I got no gurgle, there was definitely some soup in the bottom of the bowl though, so this is a very positive first experience.

The draw is nice and open, though the Churchwarden stem seems a little restrictive.
Negatives, I got a few bits of tobacco on my first draw (it's not a filtered pipe), and it doesn't pass a pipe cleaner through the stem perfectly, in either direction. Which is weird, but not a deal breaker. I haven't tried the Churchwarden stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.