I inherited a pipe, would like to know more about them.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

theman55

Lurker
Feb 28, 2017
So I joined this forum a few months back to learn a bit more about pipes. When my brother passed away a few years ago he had left me these pipes that had been handed down from my Great grandfather to his son my grandfather, and then to my brother. Well I now have them and finally they resurfaced after a recent house move. I know absolutely nothing about pipe smoking other than the few times I have done it with my fraternity brothers on camping trips. To say the least we know a guy who goes to school for botany and grows his own tobacco. So in an effort to learn about the pipes history, I was wondering if you guys could give me any signs or things to look for. I have what looks like a corn cob pipe, a very fancy wooden pipe, and just your normal looking curved wooden pipe. I was told they are valuable but I guess, what makes them valuable. Are there initials of famous pipe makers or something I should look for. Would love to know more. Will add a picture when I can.
Looking forward to your responses.

theman55

Lurker
Feb 28, 2017
Figured I would add this since this looks just like the normal looking one.
002-033-30804.jpg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hi and welcome, if you posts actual pictures of your actual pipes we might be able to help. In the meantime try www.pipephil.eu and www.pipedia.org

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's possible you've been left two collector's pieces, though the cob is probably just a cob, but likely a fine smoker. More likely, there is nothing rare about the two, not even the "fancy" one. Photos would help. Report word for word any and all stamped words on the pipes, and picture the logos. The likelihood is that these are great family heirlooms, wonderful memories of your predecessors but not of great value. Do research and find out what you have, and reserve a place of honor on your shelf or mantle regardless of their appraised value.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, detailed pictures showing stamping/logo's is a must (camera phone take excellent close-up photos).

The one pictured looks Italian to my eye. (Savinelli?)

Status
Not open for further replies.