I Hit The Pipe Mother Load (Huge Pic Hoard)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have hit the pipe mother load. My Father-in-law called me a few weeks ago, very excited. He is a painter and said he had been working a job where the gentleman had a leather rack on the wall full of pipes. He offered to buy them but they didn't want to sell. Last week he was back there doing some more work and somehow he managed to barter some work for the pipes. So he calls me and says, "Do you have a Dunhill?" My response was no, to which he says, "I do". Then he says, "Do you have a Charatan?" Again, a no from me. His response was, "I do." It continued from there. Finally he tells me that he bartered for the guys whole collection, an elderly man who doesn't smoke them anymore. He got 12 pipes all in their original boxes with socks and documents. 1 Charatan, 1 Savinelli Gold, 1 Comoy Celebration Edition, 1 Ben Wade 600 hand model, and 8 Dunhills. Yes 8 Dunhills, I about fell out of my chair. I picked them up last night and I was a bit light headed as he presented them to me one at a time. There was also a very interesting leather pipe rack that hangs on the wall, another round rack also very interesting and different from any that I have seen, and a single pipe rest, as well as 4 other pipe boxes for which he didn't get pipes for, with their pipe socks. 2 GBD's, A Castello, and an extra Dunhill box. He also had a cased clay pipe that he found at an antique store for me. The Charatan dates from around 1955-1960. The Comoy is a commemorative pipe from 1976. The Ben Wade 600 from what I can tell is a rare pipe. 600's are a rare high grade and it is in a black satin and red felt with gold piping lined wooden box and the pipe sock is black satin with a red felt lining. It is very nice and the pipe has amazing grain. The Savinelli Gold also is a high end Savinelli and the gold band isn't smooth, it looks to be hand etched and is marked .750. The Dunhills are as follows. Shell Poker Group 4 1971,Tanshell Billiard Group 4 1974, Shell fat stem bulldog Group 4 1974, Large straight bulldog ODA Group 6 1974, Small straight bulldog Group 4 1974, Gold banded pot Group 4 1974, Small bent bulldog Group 4 1975, and a Black shell billiard Group 4 1976. I plan to restore and keep all of the pipes and will post a thread when I get them all finished, so consider this a before restoration set.

Now for the pics. The boxes

Dunhills in their boxes

Other Pipes in their boxes

Charatan

Comoy Celebration

Savinelli Gold

Ben Wade 600 Hand Model

[/URL

Every Dunhill has all of this documentation, Satin Pipe sock, and box.

[URL=http://s1184.photobucket.com/user/Shaintiques/media/imagejpg24_zps99d29438.jpg.html]

Leather and wood pipe rack

Leather Wall Hanger Pipe Rack

Single Leather Pipe Rest

Clay Pipe

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Wow, congrats, it's not like you don't deserve it. I hope you keep them for yourself.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
What can pne say? Just wow. You are very lucky. Congrats. ( ahm....... And may I add I envy you). :clap:

vabriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 24, 2012
Congrats, I hope you enjoy them! Now go buy a lottery ticket....quick :D

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Couldn't have happened to a better person! Now, time to wipe up all this drool...

Dec 24, 2012
Wow is right. You truly do deserve it. And with a Father-In-Law like that i may consider proposing. To your wife I mean . . . er . . . not you.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Dave:
This is karma, pally.
You were brutalized earlier this year by theft and now your f-i-l brokers an incredible deal for you.
This exchange was priceless and had me rolling on the floor:
"So he calls me and says, "Do you have a Dunhill?"
My response was no, to which he says, "I do".
Then he says, "Do you have a Charatan?" Again, a no from me.
His response was, "I do." It continued from there."
This guy is a piece of work and I know how much you appreciate him. I'd thank him again and then re-thank him with a stupidly expensive bottle of sour mash, malted scotch, gift certificate, etc.
Bub, you got screwed, blued and tattooed this year. Here's your payoff for being one of the good guys and I couldn't be happier for you.
Now, if we could just get the Cards to grab a root and growl we might recreate another I-70 series.
Fnord

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
I second everything Fnord said. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Unbelievable! Your father in law is one in a million. We will all love to see the pictures as you clean and restore them. I guess this is a new angle of the Free Pipe Project, with you as the beneficiary! :clap:

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
WOW, nice haul, I traded some coins for pipes earlier in the year and while the pipes were better than drug store pipes they sure were no Dunhills!!!!! Very nice and great father in law!!!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
CONGRATULATIONS! I can't think of anyone more deserving. You have given so many pipes to so many people, it's more than fitting that some gems should come your way. The Ben Wade 600 is a very rare grade. Very few of these were ever made. Scarce as hen's teeth. Hell, much scarcer. I've only seen 3.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wow...that's just fantastic! Congratulations...enjoy every puff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwGNDC1w1xU

Status
Not open for further replies.