PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I dont know if i am doing something wrong or something right here. But I have a certain tobacco - a local Hazelnut blend from my B&M - that seems very dry and crackles when I smoke it. I also get a TON of smoke out of it. I really like it and wish all of my tobacco did this. Its also the only tobacco that i have that smokes to the bottom of the bowl. It is definitely dryer than my 1Q and others. It does the same thing regardless of what pipe I am using. I sure like how it smokes but I am not sure if this is "normal". Thanks for the help everyone.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I notice that with a pouch of Prince Albert I found under the seat in my truck from 7ish years ago. (no, the truck don't get cleaned out too often :roll: ) I've thought of re-hydrating it, but I like the way it smokes. I think I'm going to hyper-dry a small portion of some other blends and see how it does for them.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I thought about doing the same thing. If i leave it out on a plate overnight do you think that would do the trick? I really like how it smokes.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
Only one way to find out! I do think that most of what I smoke is too moist. I figure that's where most of my problems come from. I've only been doing this for a few months now, lots of room for learning.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
That happens to me sometimes, don't remember what blends. I keep thinking the bowl is gonna explode in my face, never does. Still no problem with the smokes tho.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I've had similar smokes when the tobacco is super dry - like when I've left it out too long. I have certainly enjoyed the effect from a few blends.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
This happens to me every now and then. It could be caused from super dry tobacco, but sometimes I get the crackling noise right before inhaling a hefty amount of goop. A fire crackles too, but other than what I've said here, I don't know what else I can say. I'm still a fairly new pipe smoker.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I got some crackling noises tonight on my smoke. Probably a little dry, but I kind of like the sound!

oldpops41

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2012
Different smokes for defferent folks. I think I will try this and see how it works for me.I think this is what this site is all about.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Dang I forgot to leave some out so I'll have to do that today. Does anyone know what happens if its "too dry"? Does it get ruined?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
No, it doesn't get ruined. Some ppl like it dry and some like it a little damper. All according to your preference. I like mine very, very dry, because I have mouth sensitivity. I cannot smoke VA's unless it is almost crumbly. Then no problem.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Ive been researching other cultures as it relates to pipes and pipe smoking. The Samauri smoked in a pipe called a Kiseru and their tobacco was totally dry and it looked like fine hair. I havent tried it yet but I intend on it.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
I placed a three finger pinch of Golden Extra in a little Pyrex bowl next to the wood stove for an hour last night. It's a shade shy of crispy. Gonna smoke it here in a bit.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Report back afterwards Wallace. I took out some of my Boswells and spread it across a plate. I'll smoke it tomorrow AM. :)

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
zonomo - No crackling with the super dry Golden Extra. I'll dry it some more and see if that makes a difference. It did make the smoke more enjoyable to me. Someone just posted on a different thread about drying the tobacco more than you think it needs. Probably good advice. I believe most of what I've been smoking has been way to moist, even if it doesn't feel like it. Anyways, learning something new everyday here. Haven't been doing this for too long and I'm finding out that it's easy to over complicate some facets of pipe smoking and it's easy to forget the simple basics too. Live and learn, hey?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Zanthal wrote: "Could it be condensation reaching the embers?"
That could be it! I notice that when my pipe gurgles and I gently puff the moisture back into the bottom of the bowl, I get that crackling sound.

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
That's probably it flyguy. Makes the most sense when you think about it.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Interesting Wallace. I've left mine out since yesterday AM and it still feels a bit moist to me. I went back to my B&M and bought some more Hazelnut thinking maybe I got a "good batch", but it to crackles and smokes like a freight train.

Status
Not open for further replies.