PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
As the title states I have been curious about a couple of things that need to probably be answered by someone more experienced than I.
Question one has to do with pipes. As a Christmas present for myself I ordered a Peterson 2011 edition Christmas pipe (style x105) and tobacco set. I know its not for everyone, but I liked the green and red. I love the look of it and it seemed to be drilled nicely. The only thing that makes me wonder is that it seems VERY light. When you pick it up you almost think that it should weigh way more than it does. Is this normal? I don't have a lot of nice pipes so it may just be lack of experience on my part, but it made me curious. Usually when something is lighter than it seems it should be it is not a good thing unless it is made for that purpose.
My second question is a tobacco question. So far my favorite tobacco is Erik Nording's Hunters Blend Beagle. It gives me just enough sweet taste on the bottom side of my tounge. If I remember right the tin says that it is a Virginia with a touch of Perique. What in the tobacco causes that sweet taste? Is it the Virginia or the Perique? Also, knowing that I enjoy that blend what other blend would you reccomend that I try?
Thanks in advance for the answers/suggestions!
Jake

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Every pipe is different. Two of the same pipe can weigh a little different, in general it doesn't matter as long as it smokes right for you and has no issues cleaning.
Concerning the bacci, it's prob the perique as it is the spiced part of the blend the virginia probably is toning down part of the spice and for sure there is a casing that adds the sweetness also.
If you like that try sugar barrel, it has a bit of nicotine so smoke it slow.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
The sweetness actually comes from the Virginia's more so than from the Perique, which will add the spicyness or peppery flavor. I have only tried the Labrador blend in that series, so can't be of any more help on this one specifically...
But if you like Virginia / Perique blends, the world's your oyster and you will find yourself in excellent company !
So, if you like it, here's a short list of baccy's you may want to try: (in my order of preference)

Escudo: Excellent VA/Per, more spicy though than sweet

Esoterica Dorchester: More mellow. Very well balanced

AJ's VA/Per: Ditto

Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake

Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake
In my cellar, but have not opened the tins yet, Esoterica Dunbar, Kajun Kake, GL Pease Fillmore, St.James Flake... and probably a couple more which I can't recall without going over and looking ;-)
Good luck

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
But if you like Virginia / Perique blends, the world's your oyster and you will find yourself in excellent company !
Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake is my favorite VA blend so far. Definitely sweet and smooth.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome to the forums Rosney. I had a Peterson that was also *very* light weight and at the time I was kind of feeling like it was cheaply made - being so lightweight - like it was made of plastic. But in actuality, many pipe smokers are keen to have as light a pipe as possible. This makes it easier to carry in the mouth.
A heavier weight pipe doesn't indicate greater quality, in fact sometimes it's the reverse.

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
Thank you for the replies. I assumed that I was just over thinking the weight of the pipe. It was just almost strange how light it was. I havent had a chance to smoke it yet, but will as soon as this head congestion clears up!
I will have to check to see if my local B&M has any of the tobacco suggestions you guys have given. If not it looks like I will have to check put in another online order to try them out.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Don't forget that all Hearth and Home tobaccos are 20% off (with coupon code) this month at Pipes and Cigars! Awesome deal :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the forums Rosney. Light is good in my book because I am a clencher. If you are a holder then a heavy pipe is not an issue. do not feel that because the pipe is light that is is not a good one and that it will not provide a good smoke. Some of my best smokers are very light pipes.
Here is my list of favorite Virginia/Perique blends.

Escudo

Solani 633

Samuel Gawith St James flake( I am smoking this as I type)

Dunhill DeluxeNavy Rolls
I am a Virginia lover because of the natural sweetness it provides. The VA/Perique blends are favorites because of the sweet and spicy combo.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Light is normally a sign of well cured briar as long as the bowl walls are of the right thickness and not to thin. There also can be a difference in the weight of one piece of briar to another and both be cured properly. I normally go for the lightest that is made properly with good wall thickness.

john218

May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Virginia tobacco is naturally high in sugar content.
I am not familiar with the blend you're smoking, but others here can give you some good input on it My favorite blends are the English/Latakia blends, but I also enjoy the VaPers and a good Burley.
What I have tried in Virginias are Solani Virginia Flake 633, Escudo Navy Deluxe and Stokkeby Luxury Navy Flake. In Burleys, I enjoy Solani Aged Burley Flake 656 and Wessex Burley Slice.
Lightness of a pipe is considered a positive as long as the bowl is of a good thickness; the theory being that it's a sign of well seasoned briar in which the resin has been cured out of the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.