PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Mick McQuaid Ready Rubbed has a perfect score on tobaccoreviews.com. The chap on the pouch doesn't look like he would suffer dainty flavours gladly. It's a meaty-looking mix of dark (stoved?) Virginias and probably Burley, smelling richly of stewed almonds, brandy and wedge-cut fruit cake. In my Mr Brog 66 it turns to hot air. A breeze off a sterile desert. Genuinely the most tasteless blend I've smoked yet - Peterson Sherlock Holmes is a tongue-grenade in comparison. If I really push it I get something whispering at the back of the palate but by then I'm too nauseated to enjoy it. Granted, I've only had the one bowl, and I think I underpacked it, but I can only assume, like Descartes, that my senses are deceiving me.

Aug 1, 2012
Have you tried it in a couple of different pipes? I have found in past that can make quite a difference. Some blends can smell fantastic and have absolutely no flavor though. Could also be you have a sense of smell like mine and it has to be a damn strong flavor to be detected.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Since I believe you just bought the McQuaid today, it very likely needs airing out/drying. Try just taking a bowlful and spreading it out for an hour or three until it falls apart when you pinch some between your fingers. Please forgive me if I'm telling you stuff you already know-- I've no wish to demean your smoking technique. But I have some absolute favorite blends that smoked just as you describe until I got them aired out properly, after which they were sublime.
Keep us posted. I've always wanted to try that stuff, too.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I rarely smoke the ready-rubbed versions of any tobacco, but from my current smoking I can assure you that the McQuaid's Square Cut Flake and Plug are both rich and very tasty

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Thanks all,
It is indeed a new pouch and as a Virginia-heavy blend it probably does need to sit for a while. The Brog I tried it in is fairly fresh and might need more cake to start smoking well. I remain optimistic. It smells so darn good in the pouch I might just spread in bowls around the flat as a pot pourri. Will keep you posted.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
What happened was I had a TAD attack in the middle of the street and when I'd been revived by means of smelling salts and slaps to the face I lurched, muttering and slobbering, into Peterson's, finding only enough copper in my money-bag for a measly 25 grams. At that amount it was either the ready rubbed or Maltan, and I find that in a tight spot your best bet is the fat man.

Status
Not open for further replies.