PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Next March or April, I will be planting Blackthorn bushes on the property here, and was thinking... Would Blackthorn make a good pipe? I haven't been able to find anything online about people trying to make a pipe out of blackthorn, or even talking about why it can't be done. Anyone here have any thoughts about it?

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I think it's probably worth a shot. It might not last forever but used as a special occasion pipe, it might not fair so badly. Smoking qualities though? I hope an expert can enlighten us.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
There is a website, I can't remember the URL, that has full scientific details about just about every type of wood, including density, moisture absorption rating, and burning temperature.
That's what you need to find and will give you the answers you're looking for.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Be sure to research the aromatics released by the wood when heated.

You wouldn't want to inhale any harmful toxins. e.g. When pine burns.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Why would you be planting black thorn? Is it because you want to make a pipe from the wood? If thats the case then just plant something you know is good pipe wood.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I'll be planting blackthorn for the berries, but there's always fun stuff to do with hardwood like that.
Thanks for the website rothnh, I'm checking that out right now.

joshremy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
Sometimes the wonder and joy in life is trying 'Crazy Ideas' not because of any function, but simply because you felt like seeing if you could do it... I say if there isn't anything harmful about it, GO FOR IT! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.