PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Brethren and sistren,
When I found pipes, it was like coming home.
I had smoked cigarettes for years, off and on, usually brought back into the habit by someone whilst I was out for the evening. "Oh come on, get a pack, it won't kill you."
However, as time went on, I found myself constricting as far as what I would allow myself to smoke. First I abandoned the mainstream cigarettes, like I left certain mainstream pop-soda sugar water "beer" behind years ago, but then, I found myself limited to a few brands. State Express 555 Special. Dunhill Medium.
Then, after years of hacking around with aromatics, I found some hardcore tobacco... from Dunhill, of all people. At first, I was baffled by it, but then my tongue -- honed by years of cooking -- picked up on the subtleties.
There was this great "Aha!" moment.
After that, I was able to appreciate the many brilliant offerings that I have encountered so far, with Royal Yacht, Old Joe Krantz and Brown Twist Sliced leading the pack.
But lately, I have been veering into the world of cigars. They are enjoyable specifically because there is very little fiddling and much long-term smoking, usually one to two hours or more on the Churchills I favor.
However, this is not a defection.
It is a parallel enjoyment.
Inhaling tobacco smoke at this point does not appeal to me, but tasting/experiencing the wonderful flavors and high Nicotine of a good cigar or pipe tobacco remains my focus.
Any others who walk both paths? (Or even those who walk the Left Hand Path by smoking The Beast alongside a stout cigar...)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I do walk both paths. I smoke one or two bowls of pipe everyday and once in a while I open my small humidor and smoke a cigar. It has been 24 days since I quit cigarettes by the way.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
Metal, I also enjoy the occasional cigar. I have a humidor with a small collection that spans several years, and will smoke one every couple of weeks. The pipe, however, is my daily ritual.
The word nerd in me got interested in your use of "sistren" in your greeting. Initial glance indicated sistren is technically not the equivalent of brethren, and brethren has become the gender neutral collective name for members of a society or group. However, "sistren" is a word, or was, in that "brethren" and "sistren" were both the plural forms of brother and sister until the 1500s, after which time brothers and sisters became plural form of brother and sister, while brethren continued to be used in the context of members of societies, particularly ecclesiastic organizations or guilds, which were male dominated at the time. Sistren is also used still occasionally in various dialects.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think he misspelled it. Cistern might have been his intent? Just mentioning a sexual reference is fraught with danger.

I too have come to the pipe from cigs. I've been at it now for 2 years and have rolled exactly one cigarette in that time using pipe tobacco. Just an experiment.

I've smoked one of two cigars, and use any that I acquire, now, as additives to my own pipe blends.

I'm always tempted by the ads for sticks, but I am so happy with the pipe and fond of efficient spending that I don't bite.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I have a humidor filled with cigars but only take them out for special occasions. Rope tobacco makes me feel like I'm smoking a cigar in my pipe and I like it.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I used to walk both paths, but found that I wasn't smoking cigars very often. I always reached for the pipe. I still enjoy a good cigar on occasion. The last being in a cigar bar that was by law not permitted to allow pipe smoking. The time before that was this year's Indy 500. There's something about smoking a cigar outdoors in the summer that just works for me. I guess it just reminds me of being in Cuba while in college? I do not like smoking a pipe outdoors which makes cigars a great option when the weather's right. You've made me want to pick one up on the way home this evening and lay outside slathered in suntan lotion this weekend in the 90 degree heat smoking a Padron or Opus X. Thanks deathmetal. My wife will be excited to hear my plans for the weekend, as I normally just lay on the couch watching stupid TV smoking a pipe. Cigars scream live life while pipes softly say relax, at least for me they do.

Jun 4, 2014
I still keep a good selection of cigars on hand. Having moved back to mainly smoking a pipe and applying the same smoking pace to cigars. I've found that I seem to enjoy some of the lighter bodied cigars now just as much as I do a full bodied Nicaraguan.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My late wife quit a severe cigarette habit, and in solidarity, I quit smoking (pipes). At that time, I would enjoy a cigar when off on business trips. A nice long smoke with no equipment and few relights, mostly. When out of the U.S. I could sample Cuban cigars, and otherwise I always especially enjoyed a nice Dominican. By now, with pipes, cigars are too much of a good thing, and I don't smoke them or keep them on hand. The prices aren't appealing. But I have had some lovely stogies and don't turn 'em down on the rare occasions when they're offered. They don't show up with new babies or at weddings much anymore. The last one I recall smoking was at a food event in NYC. I did buy one at Belmont horse track several years ago, a pipe not being a horse racing thing really.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Over the past 6 years I went from a cigar only guy to a cigar and pipe guy to now a predominately pipe guy. Whereas I would have 3-5 cigars a week and maybe a couple bowls a month; to now I have 3-5 pipes a week and maybe a cigar or two a month. I enjoy both, but the last two years I've just been more into pipes.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I went from cigar to pipes and never looked back, though I do keep some cigars on hand for some buddies. I know you like the nic, deathmetal--so how do they compare?

I tried the gamut of cigars at my local B & M and could never get much, if any nic hit off any of them.
I was shocked the first time I tried Peterson Irish Flake. It was basically the first time I had felt nicotine.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I’ll spare everyone my gamut history of smoking, (keeping in mind that I still, ‘gasp’, smoke cigarettes) but it seems as though I’ve been reverting a tad to smoking cigars again more so than a pipe as of late. Perhaps it’s just simply a change of pace mixed in with a good dose of laziness. Pull a choice stick out of one of my humidors; torch it up and simply nothing more to do than that. Of course being able to do so outside during the warmer weather has a lot to do with it. Although I have the luxury of smoking a pipe inside the after stench of having smoked a cigar indoors leaves much to be desired. I’m trying to save up for a good air pu :wink:rifier which would more likely than not be in the $600.00+ range during the colder months, but it’s certainly not a priority on my ‘need’ list given that I live on a pension. There is also the given fact that a decent stick can be quite expensive if you smoke them often (mine averages between $5.00 to $8.00), and lately I’ve been smoking a cigar about five days a week. Adds up quickly! As for cigarettes they now cost $12.50 a pack here in Chicago, but not a problem for me as I make my own for just over $1.00 a pack with... ‘pipe tobacco’. :wink: :wink: :wink:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I tried the gamut of cigars at my local B & M and could never get much, if any nic hit off any of them.

Try a Joya De Nicaragua Antano then. It's what taught me how to smoke a cigar slowly. Also the old Camancho's if you can find them.

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
Cigars are nice in the summer, and definitely seem lower maintenance when one is trying to read or otherwise multitask. Nice change of pace.

cullansghost

Lurker
Jun 13, 2016
I am not on to begrudge the stogies, but might I offer a compromise. A medium or small bowled Meerschaum packed as needed with Tsuge's Gaijin.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I am not on to begrudge the stogies, but might I offer a compromise. A medium or small bowled Meerschaum packed as needed with Tsuge's Gaijin.
I’m afraid that isn’t going to cut it and you’re missing the point as we’re talking about two entirely different things. A pipe, no matter it’s size, what material it’s made of or what tobacco is placed in it is still a pipe; the ensuing preparation, tamping, relighting, etc., whereas a cigar is a completely different animal.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
My experience mirrors phil67's, down to the homemade "pipe tobacco" coffin nails. I've been more into cigars of late for the same reasons, but still crave the pipe.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Pipes in the winter, cigars in the summer. If I could only choose one... It would have to be cigars.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Interesting. I cannot claim to be an expert, but I find the full-strength cigars deliver quite a Nicotine hit, but it is not like that delivered by pipe or cigarette (each of which is quite different from the other). It is both more subtle and more formidable, where the pipe tends to give more warning of the freight train coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.