I Have Briar Dust In My Nose

(13 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by didimauw
  • Latest reply from didimauw
  1. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just stick a pipe cleaner up your nostril.
    The colouring is nice with that stem, good on ya!

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice!!
    Embers had posted a thread last week (I think) asking why pictures of those Danish styled freehands were always pictured with the stem partially removed. Does the stem not go all the way in?
    Oh, and nice chunky shank on that stummel.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes the stem only goes that far in.
    I decided to leave it with the flaws from the briar and the marks I left on it. Not only cause the more I look at it the more I like it, but also for reminders for next time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great job! I also love the coloring! I too like to leave some tooling marks in my stuff, just because I think it looks cool and it reminds that I made it by hand.

Haven't seen a kit come with a stem like that. Most of them I see are plain black. Best advice I can give for the dust is to use a respirator. I wear mine constantly while I'm working on tampers, especially since they're mostly all exotic woods. Got tired of blowing nasty brown/black shit out of my nose for a day after working on something in the garage.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting bulge on that shank, makes it all your own. Nice finish. What tool were your using to carve? Nice shaping on the bowl, good thick-walled billiard.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I started with a hand held jig saw, in an attempt to seperate bowl from shank. But I couldn't find any of my longer blades, so I just cut it as far as I could, and used that as a guide. Then used the belt sander to finish that part off and do the final shaping. (I really need a band saw) {and maybe a lathe some day} I then used a large file, to help take some larger chunks off the block and try to even it out more. Then I moved to sand paper, and smoothed it down as much as I could. Then went to the micro mesh pads for the final step 1800-3200 grit.

Then remembering when I stained my last pipe, It was a lot darker than I wanted. Luckily the little brush that comes with the stain still had stain on from last time. The fact that I didn't re dip the brush, kept it a little lighter this time. I then sacrificed an old micro mesh pad, and sanded a little bit of the finish off, before applying Caranauba wax to it.
    And then of course I screwed up my stamp, but was able to make it tolerable...the third time.

I boiled some water and dipped the stem in it for a couple minutes in order to bend it to the curve I wanted.

Upon then ( Cramming ) the stem back into the shank, It cracked about 1/4th of an inch. So I will be sanding that portion way down, to a much thicker area of the shank, and re drilling the stem hole with my drill press.

THEN I will have the first smoke!

And yes MSO, I kind of liked the odd look of the shank. " Freehand" Right??

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that looks cool!

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it! It's one of a kind. No one else has one like it. Enjoy it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s difficult, more difficult than most realise.
    I only had hand tools, rasps and files, some sand paper.
    I did not want to crack or brake this as it was a Father’s Day present.
    So edged on caution.
    Briar is incredibly hard to cave.

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

Wow, I really admire you guys who can make things by hand; it's just so good to see. Thanks for sharing. - Sherm Natman

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s fun making your own pipes but be careful, it’s addicting! Before ya know it you’ll have 3 different lathes, a drill press, a band saw and you’ll spend a small fortune on sand paper and other small tools. Good job on your first pipe!

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Yes I'm already in the market for more blocks. It's the final sanding, staining and waxing that makes it exciting. I can do the drilling myself, with my drill press, but I would want a lathe before I try doing any stem work....

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sablebrush52, dino, condorlover1