I have become over protective with my pipes!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
It has come to my attention (by my wife) that I have become over protective and paranoid about my pipe collection. For the longest time I have been keeping my pipes in nice little racks to admire and keep handy. After talking with two different pipe guys who at one point, had someone break into their homes (different times and years) but in which the burglar stole their pipe collections, among other things. I have been keeping most of my pipes in my safe. I have one of those fort knox 2000 pound, takes a small army to move kind. It once only held only important paperwork and guns. I find myself keeping only a small handfull out and switching them every so often.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Good idea. I am a little overprotective of my possessions as well.

I have a German shepherd and a Doberman just incase my gun jams.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Just returned from the dentist. Not hitting on all cylinders. Forget the original response as I posted to the wrong thread. (This was typed standing with my hat in hand, scuffing the dirt, and eyes respectively lowered as I seek forgiveness.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was wondering if burglars would go for pipes. I guess in the age of ebay, anything that doesn't look broken

or outright worn out appears sellable. It seems ironic that people who wouldn't think of smoking a pipe, much

less a used one, will steal one in an instant. I lost my widower wedding ring, my late wife's ring set, and much

other merchandise. Some have no soul.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Most of today's burglars have very little grasp of the value of what they steal. They are looking at everything easy to haul away and the quick sale for the dope they crave. Gone are the days of "casing" and other research prior to the theft. I found a few of my pipes after burglary along the road they used to leave the area. Yes! Even cops get burgled.
They took a cheap pistol, ignored the clip laying next to it, missed my wife's jewelry box, grabbed a handful of pipes and a bunch of DVDs. Idiots! They lived up the road. The court system relocated them to a nice, full service, abode with great security and no rent.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
found a few of my pipes after burglary along the road they used to leave the area.
Probably tossed them when they figured out they weren't for the wacky tobaccy..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My "visitors" were locals too. The cops were amused that they packed some of my things in a backpack

with a public health organization's logo and name spelled out. They sold a lot in a hurry. I recovered some,

but they must have held a quick flea market in someone's apartment. They were caught and sent up. Some

of the helpers got off by being witnesses. Not a pretty scene.
If you pack most pipes in a safe, you lose some of the pleasure of them. Maybe do as the art museums do,

and rotate your collection, maybe 2/3 in the safe at any one time, and 1/3 on the racks. Balance the low level

pipes with the more expensive. I resent living like this, but it's the way of the world. About half my pipes are

cobs and machine pipes, so resale would be pretty meagre.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Gig, I'm with you I only have about 14 in rotation for different baccys I do the same thing, I might smoke one on a special occasion but most on display would warrant the description hardly smoked or unsmoked.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I quit leaving anything I value out in the open years ago. Too damn many B&E's going on. And yes they will take your pipes. Anything that they think you value, they think must have value, so it's whoop! into the pillowcase.

I used to have some guns that I liked to keep in a gun case, just to look at. Too bad I can't do that anymore. I have two stand up safes in my home, and make sure they are locked every time I leave the house. Another hint: bolt the safes to the floor if possible. Also I have a little printed card taped to the front of each safe that says " breaking the dial off on this door will not open this safe." Just might save having to have it repaired. They may get into the safes if they are good enough, but not without a lot of damn trouble. Most B&E's aren't done by professionals anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.