PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well, During the few months I was upgrading and replacing some of my older Medium and lower end Peterson pipes with a bit more expensive items,mostly from their Sterling Silver,Harp and special line ups and to my great surprice all these last five Petersons from very recent production were flawless including stems,drilling and bowl finishes, whereas two lower end Petersons Waterfords models 999 from recent factory batch both thse waterfords came with a little bid misaligned stems and with some stem shaping issues(which I happily managed to fix using my heath gun)+one of these two 999 was drilled on the left side.Now,am I to believe That Peterson finally got the control over the recent years quality related issues,at least with them higher cost pipes?

Ps.As a side not,I should mention none of these had dipstained mortises but instead chambers of each were pre-carbonated,yes and they do smoke typically Peterson-like a bit acride even precarbonation removed,presumably this will be gone away after several tens of smoked bowls,pipes were supplied to me by the English based Tobacconist Cgars Ltd/Turmeaus which services were impeccable and shipping lightning fast.

Good, but... I was under the impression that the higher level Petersons were all of excellent quality, and that it was the introductory level Petes that had the drilling, staining, and finishing issues. But, of course, the dip staining had stopped earlier... if I understood correctly.

But, good good, I hope they are around for many more centuries into the future.

derekflint

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2017
Just got two new Peterson's ( introductory level I guess ). Both are flawless and smoke just fine......

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Pete has regained its balance. They need the trust of their customer base, and I think they have realized that.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Even so, I still feel that buying a brand new Peterson is a shot in the dark,is that the right expression?Of course It'll be fine if you can inspect them physically,and to be honest flawless is pretty much from what angle you're looking into this, with Petersons I'm trying to be as tolerant as possible in my criteria.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I think Pete has regained its balance. They need the trust of their customer base, and I think they have realized that.

Perhaps with newer price point buyers but the trust of higher end collectors has been gone for decades. 8O

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
After reading about problems with Petersons and a long breaking I didn't decide for one. There are many other marks with excellent reputation, some also have a similar moisture trap like its System.

Since many say a pipe smoker should have at least one Peterson's pipe I appreciate posts like this and hope you're right about their quality coming back. It will probably still pass some time (years?) until one will be able to rely on them without any doubt.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
This week I have been smoking Aran 80s, Shamrock 221 & 15, Deluxe system 8s & 11s, Premier 302,Spigot 69 & 80s

with no problems.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
and lately I have bought 27.Oct Amber Spigot 65, 15.Nov Deluxe 9s, 28.Dec Spigot 105, 11.Jan Short classic prince silver mtd

& outdoor 124 and a Deluxe 1s which has arrived at the airport today.

In the same period I also bought BBB, Guildhall and two Orlik made Fox pipes unsmoked.

Status
Not open for further replies.