I Have a Problem...I Bought More Pipes (Alden)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
In preparation for my move, I've gotten rid of more than 35 pipes. I have more that have to go and it's a bear to decide what to take and what to keep. Due to this you'd think I would not buy any more pipes. WRONG! I've kept PAD in check since Christmas but when I went to Ryan Alden's site, it bit me badly. So, I ended up buying one. But it didn't stop there. I had Christmas and pipe sale money burning a hole in my pocket and he had another one on the site that I just couldn't leave there sitting all by its lonesome. He was great to deal with and both pipes hit my doorstep on Friday.
Why were they so hard to ignore? They were a material I've wanted to try since I heard about it. He made them out of strawberry wood. They both clocked in at around 40g (42g for the "heavy" one) and have a really interesting blast. I also looked at the stem/button shape and they looked darn nice. I initially chose the dublin but the billiard just couldn't be ignored. They really did need to be kept as a set.
Now for the smoke. Smoking a new pipe usually takes me a while to get to. It's a bit scary for me. This time it was hard to wait. I smoked one the night I got them and the other last night. They both smoked cool and I did not require a pipe cleaner like I usually do. There was a little bit of a taste that I couldn't pin down (not bad, just different) but otherwise the taste was superb. I love these guys and I'm glad I got the set. The only problem? What pipes now need to go to make room for them?
A note on the pipe maker. Ryan is a class act and was great to exchange emails with. You can feel the passion he has for his craft, and his business, in everything he does. The pipes are crafted wonderfully and I couldn't be happier with the whole experience. Buy one of his pipes now, before he starts to get noticed. If I'm right, he's going to have a heck of a following before long and his prices will begin to reflect that.
Now what you've all been waiting for. Pics! They are his as my pics did not look nearly as good. As with all good blasts, the pics cannot do it justice.
The Dublin.

pipes%20056.JPG

pipes%20061.JPG

And the billiard.

pipes%20065.JPG

pipes%20071.JPG

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least you bought two good ones. Dive in and smoke them. Then smoke some that you haven't

smoked in a while. Study tobaccos. PAD can be slowed if not cured.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Congrats. I only have one of Ryan's pipes, but I'll certainly buy another. One of the best smokers I have.
I love your Dublin, by the way.

May 31, 2012
Wow!

Nice.
Thanks for posting this, now I know where my next pipe is coming from, I looked at his site and was bowled over by his rustication technique, that dublin he has in the gallery is sweet looking.
I'm headed out tomorrow on a big 6 week job and I'll have some extra cash at the end, been trying to figure out what I wanted to do, after seeing these pipes and the testimonial from Pitchfork, I have no doubt.

btw, Pitch, your pipe is a stunner too, love it!

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ryan-alden-billiard-pics
Somehow, I didn't realize that Lonestar was such a fine pipemaker and that makes it all the better that he's a PM dude too!

Dec 24, 2012
I check out the Alden website every once in awhile when I remember but I hardly ever find any pipes there. I am glad you grabbed one, and the one above is a beauty.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I check out the site every once in a while, too, Peck. Ryan can answer for himself, but I assume he's mostly doing commissions (???). If he had more pipes for sale up on the website (hint, hint), it would probably create a lot more interest in his work.
In any case, I think he's finding his sweet spot with these chunky, compact versions of the classic shapes. Well-balanced smoking machines -- can't go wrong with that.

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
The one who dies with the most wins. As long as you are happy go for it!!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I went to his site today after reading another post by Cap'n. Looks like he makes some nice pipes but will agree that it looks like commissions are his thing. Good for him.
I hope those are great smokers Dave.
Dan

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Thanks so much for the kind words everyone, and Dave I am especially glad to hear you love the pipes !

I apologize to everyone thats been checking my site, its true I've had little available since the new site went up.

2013 was a really tough year for me. I lost a best friend in march, my Father just a few months later and my sister in August. I sorta dropped out of everything for awhile. But thankfully 2013 is past and its a new year.

Once I get some retooling and remodeling done in the shop, updates should be a regular part of the site.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry to hear things have been so rough for you. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of your work, Ryan. The Poker I picked up at Smokers Haven has been smoking like a dream.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
Capt. If you got room for dishes you got room for pipes. There has to be a place to stuff 60 some pipes if I read the post right.
Nice additions... good luck with yr move.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Since when is buying more pipes a problem? :mrgreen:
Congratulations on your new pipe's handsome texture - the pattern is unusual.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Very glad to hear they are doing well for you! I have a commission in the works with Ryan now. Those are some lookers, and the strawberry wood has me curious. The commission going right now is a Briar however.
Ryan, hate to hear that 2013 held that much sorrow. I hope that 2014 is much better to you! looking forward to seeing my commission from you as well.

Brandon

Jan 8, 2013
Beautiful pipes, Capn. Congrats and may they smoke like a dream. Lonestar, real sorry to hear this last year was such a bad one. May 2014 bring you nothing but happiness.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Two beautiful pipes indeed cap'n! They do have a very unusual, but lovely texture as well. Congrats and glad they smoke well!
Lonestar, so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you. Best wishes for a happier 2014.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks all. Ryan, I am sorry for your losses and wish the best from you in the coming year.
I know his pipes are not plentiful but isn't that true of many of the best artists?

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I didn't mean to hijack Daves thread, just wanted to point out why my site seemed neglected and why I hadn't been around here much.
Since when is buying more pipes a problem? [:mrgreen:]
My sentiments exactly :lol:

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Lonestar, thanks for the updates and I am also sorry that 2013 wasn't a good year for you. That seems like a tremendous amount of losses and hope that 2014 is kinder to you.
I do like what I see in your gallery and hope to contact you later this year for a commission.
Cheers,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.