PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
One of the Pipes I acquired is a Dublin 1/4 bent style.

It has a Rusticate finish all the way to the stem. A clear

spot on the bottom of the shank only says Italy. No other names.

I am waiting for the camera's battery to charge or I would have

attempted to load a picture for you all to see.
Joe

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
OOH, fantastic, I've been meaning to start one of these for awhile. I also have a "ITALY" pipe, and another that only says "REAL BRIAR"....sorry if these pics come out giant, iPhone does that. I normally reduce them but for quality and easy identification I didn't want to this time.
photo-9.jpg

photo-12.jpg

photo-10.jpg

photo-11.jpg

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have that same pipe. The one on top. I think they are just generic "basket" pipes? I got mine for around $20 if I remember correctly? I like it for quick smokes and use it for burly and English blends mostly.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
It's a great pipe for a quick smoke. A little light and low on the pack and you can get threw the thing in 10 minutes. A full pack and some TLC and you can get the thing to last 45. I love it. I think mine was $28.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
A lot of those pipes stamped ITALY are "seconds" from manufacturers such as Savinelli or Calibresi. Sometimes they have pits or fills that prevent them from being "firsts" which get the logo stamp of the maker. They are discounted and become "basket" pipes. I personally have many and I like them a lot. They are good pipes to round out a rotation or to knock about.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ditto loborx and buster. If you inspect those basket pipes and seconds carefully to insure correct drilling, etc.,

you can get a very good pipe. Years ago I got a Tinder Box ("Italy") basket pipe and it smokes like a champ!

DSCN0442.jpg

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
It's a basket pipe.Savinelli has so many grading in his catolog including pipe for beginners ,so no need to have a second without brand.Usually seconds have the savinelli logo and or APC marked

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Couple of my pipes just say Italy and I suspect they are seconds. both have a smooth blank spot for the Brand but are otherwise rusticated. They smoke great so I keep em'

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
"I have a pipe that only says Italy."
Consider yourself lucky. None of my pipes will say a damn word.
(sorry)

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks guy's. I did a G****l search and found nothing,so i asked a question.

Tslex I received a few of them also and they do not say anything.Maybe stamped or engraved was best to type. To me They all smoke good with the right tobacco.

The one i had in question was basically the same rustication, just a different shape.

I also so have just Spain, France and England on them. Another has Algerian Brier.

Received a MM General Corn Cob in the post yesterday. i believe hay coming out of a

cows butt would smoke good in them.

Joe St

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Looks like an Ascot (not Ascoti) pipe to me - an inexpensive basket pipe class piece which is still a pretty good smoker especially for the money in my experience. And as mentioned above Savinelli, Calabresi and other Italian makers all have second labels (or "no label" for that matter).

Proof is...if you like how it smokes, use it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mezzano is small town/municipality in Northern Italy.

There are many small pipe making factories in Italy.

The word Mezzano on your pipe is probably just stating where it was made.

The number 58 is probably just model number.

A lot of Italian pipes simply have the town where it was manufactured.

e.g. Milano, Napoli, etc.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.