PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
So I made a deal with my wife that I would learn to make spaghetti puttanesca before I bought another Italian pipe. I didn't realize that it would happen so soon though. I found this nice Tinder Box Verona pipe with a military bit that needed some restoring with a buy it now for less than $15 including shipping. I had to do some fast work on getting a recipe and actually pulling off the idea that I could do this. So promises were made, and I got the pipe, now I just have to deliver on the meal. Shouldn't be too bad hopefully.
The pipe looks pretty nice once I got it cleaned up. I guess these pipes were made by Mauro Armellini for Tinder Box, so I assume they are of lesser quality than a regular Armelllini pipe. There were quite a lot of dings in it from careless handling, buy I got all but a few out as I decided to leave the deeper ones alone. Had lots of deep bite marks in the stem, but a little black super glue and some filing, sanding, and polishing and it almost looks new. I'll be lighting it up tonight, after I make the spaghetti dish. Gonna use the recipe below.
null
Tinder Box Verona Pipe

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is a good-looking military mount pipe. I am not sure what it looked like before you restored it, but I think you got a lot for your ~$15.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Good job Orley, even if the Italian dish is not a success you've got the pipe. I believe your dish will be great after seeing what you did with that gapped Dunhill. Eat, Smoke and be happy.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Orley, nice pipe. That was a bargain negotiation. How did the spaghetti puttanesca turn out? Did you use anchovies?
I'm Italian. Ive cooked it a few different ways.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
buroak: I need to start taking pics of these pipes before I start on them, but what happens is, I don't think it's that great a pipe, but after it's done I think, well, that looks pretty good, I should take a pic of it now.
Bradley, it will probably take less time than the Dunhill, but it's also more unfamiliar territory, sooo....
papipeguy: I'm not a good enough cook to score a S. Bang! Plus, I'd probably have to go back to work to come up with the funds!
Spencer, truth is I didn't pay $15 for the pipe, they wanted $14.99 or make an offer. So even though I knew it was worth the $!5, I offered $13.50 and they accepted, with free shipping too. I should feel guilty, but it all evens out for the pipes I end up paying too much for I guess. :roll:
indianafrank: yeah, anchovies, and capers too. Fact is I actually like anchovies, but not on pizza that much. This dish, and salads mostly.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
So here I am with the Verona loaded with Shortcut to Mushrooms, and a full belly of pasta. All went well, and I probably gained about 2 lbs. But the pipe smoked great and my wife is happy. She's in the bed watching the Oscars show, and I'm in the living room smoking and burping!
photo-38-600x450.jpg

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Orley:
Those Tinder Box banded pipes are some of the very best value estate burners available: the TB Uniques were made by Charatan and many of the TB Veronas were made by Ascorti and Armellini.
"Got a product over run? Send them to TB."
Man, you did real good. And that tiger's eye graining is gorgeous.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.