Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
True!
Lately I acquired some Japanese kiseru pipes and tobacco (Kizami). I also learned that some Japanese pipe smokers like to use cigarette tobacco in their little pipes, so I decided to do a comparison:
4a90f52b-49dc-4e46-84a5-d49af3fb005c-600x330.jpg

I also tried one while I was at it, but was completely disappointed! No flavor, no volume and no duration...

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I tried each one in turn in one of my papa-san pipes and the best was the Takara Bune (on the right). That one is what they call their “American Blend”. I’ve managed to order a pouch of Takara Bune “Gold” and it’ll be interesting to compare their in house blends.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
It looks like some American Spirit cigarettes on the left. Which pile of tobacco goes with which tobacco? I know that American Spirit is all natural tobacco and not bad at all. I don't know how it would be in a pipe.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
That’s Koiki brand in the center and the Takara Bune “American Blend” on the right.

The Koiki cut is as fine as human hair and turns to powder if I handle it too much though I’m sure that someone more experienced with it would be more adept.

The Takara Bune is denser and stands up better to handling as well as having more flavor than either of the others.

ron123

Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Those long kiseru's are cool...couldn't find anything like them online. I did find some of the tobacco in your OP on ebay from a seller in Japan though, so am gonna give it a shot. I've been curious about trying one of these pipes for a while, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. Cup O Joe's has their kiseru's on sale, so I've got one of those on the way, as well.

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
Been wanting to try one of those for a while, but I'm holding off(just barely) buying any new pipes until I move out of my barracks in a few months. I'll probably have at least one for when I can actually get Japanese tobacco and another for shaggy RYO blends incan easily get like Drum or Bali Shag.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I actually have a few different kizami tobaccos. I'll have to share a picture sometime. The Koiki is perfect and I love it, but it was nice to try the component tobaccos and some different blends. As long as I can get my hands on Koiki, I will be happy. I haven't indulged in kizami in a bit, thanks for the reminder.

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
I am not familiar with Kiseru pipes but they look like an extended version of something used to smoke another familiar herb.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
The more you know, the more you learn... I used to think that those old oriental pipes with the tiny bowls were opium pipes, but I’ve been learning a lot about tobacco culture in Japan.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I actually have a few different kizami tobaccos. I'll have to share a picture sometime. The Koiki is perfect and I love it, but it was nice to try the component tobaccos and some different blends. As long as I can get my hands on Koiki, I will be happy. I haven't indulged in kizami in a bit, thanks for the reminder.
Pictures? I've been looking into a set up for my wife. Having issues finding tobacco. Other than On eBay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm curious about Kiseru but not a real prospect for one. I do want to ask what the duration of smoking a bowl is. Looks like fifteen or twenty minutes which doesn't seem like time to relax and meditate to me, though as part of a ritual it might be an abbreviated part. If that were all I had, I might become good at it. I have had some prolonged smokes in Group 1 or 2 (smallest) briar pipes using flake cut that lasted much longer than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.