Kiseru Pipes and Kizami Tobacco

(15 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by gatorlope
  • Latest reply from gatorlope
  1. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

True!

Lately I acquired some Japanese kiseru pipes and tobacco (Kizami). I also learned that some Japanese pipe smokers like to use cigarette tobacco in their little pipes, so I decided to do a comparison:

I also tried one while I was at it, but was completely disappointed! No flavor, no volume and no duration...

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love kizami. It is not easy to get here in the states, but if you can, do! I have an Edo period kiseru from which I smoke my kizami and it is a sublime experience.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

Ditto... I have a couple of papa-san kiseru with nice big bowls (relatively speaking) and you can just zen out.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice!

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

I tried each one in turn in one of my papa-san pipes and the best was the Takara Bune (on the right). That one is what they call their “American Blend”. I’ve managed to order a pouch of Takara Bune “Gold” and it’ll be interesting to compare their in house blends.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

It looks like some American Spirit cigarettes on the left. Which pile of tobacco goes with which tobacco? I know that American Spirit is all natural tobacco and not bad at all. I don't know how it would be in a pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  7. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

That’s Koiki brand in the center and the Takara Bune “American Blend” on the right.
    The Koiki cut is as fine as human hair and turns to powder if I handle it too much though I’m sure that someone more experienced with it would be more adept.
    The Takara Bune is denser and stands up better to handling as well as having more flavor than either of the others.

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like a similar cut to "la petit Robbin"

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

I’m not familiar with “La Petit Robbin”, but it’s about as petit as you can get without putting it in a blender!

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

A variety of kiseru types. The longest papa-San kiseru is 29 and a half inches long,

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

Those long kiseru's are cool...couldn't find anything like them online. I did find some of the tobacco in your OP on ebay from a seller in Japan though, so am gonna give it a shot. I've been curious about trying one of these pipes for a while, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot. Cup O Joe's has their kiseru's on sale, so I've got one of those on the way, as well.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. yuda

yuda

Login to Send PM

Been wanting to try one of those for a while, but I'm holding off(just barely) buying any new pipes until I move out of my barracks in a few months. I'll probably have at least one for when I can actually get Japanese tobacco and another for shaggy RYO blends incan easily get like Drum or Bali Shag.

Posted 2 months ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually have a few different kizami tobaccos. I'll have to share a picture sometime. The Koiki is perfect and I love it, but it was nice to try the component tobaccos and some different blends. As long as I can get my hands on Koiki, I will be happy. I haven't indulged in kizami in a bit, thanks for the reminder.

Posted 2 months ago #
  14. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I am not familiar with Kiseru pipes but they look like an extended version of something used to smoke another familiar herb.

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. gatorlope

gatorlope

Login to Send PM

The more you know, the more you learn... I used to think that those old oriental pipes with the tiny bowls were opium pipes, but I’ve been learning a lot about tobacco culture in Japan.

Posted 2 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   instymp, donjgiles, ashdigger, frankrem, npod, winton, michiganlover, folanator