PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
I smoke va/pers exclusively. Well, va/pers and ODF. Anyhoo, I decided to load my Nording Freehand with some, well, Nording Retriever Blend. I must say that I had forgotten how wonderful a quality aro can be. Especially when paired with a nice, warm cup of joe. I am enjoying this quite a bit.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
unholy1:
Thank-you for this thread, as it prompted me to find this blend on tobaccoreviews.com, and investigate it further! As a result, I will be looking for a tin this weekend at my local tobacconist.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am going to try some aromatics again after 15 years or so next week. Got some cherry blends to try again. I am an English, Va/Per, and a few Va blends.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Absolutely. I got into VA/Pers and English blends this year and then got some CAO Black and CAO Ellen's dream for very cheap, and they blew me away. I have really enjoyed them this Christmas season.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Yep I get stuck and even actively avoid Aromatics alto of times just due to my early bad experience with them. But lately I've been dabbling in some aro's and even really looking forward to opening my Autumn Evening that I won in the caption contest.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I always like a good aromatic as a change-up, though most of my tobacco is non-aromatic -- English,

non-aro burely, and Va/Per and Va. My criteria for "good" is tobacco taste forward. I want to taste a

good tobacco and let the flavoring accent that in an aromatic. If all I am tasting is vanilla and caramel,

I think I may want an ice cream sundae.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
McClelland's No. 705 Walnut Liqueur singlehandedly disabused me of my view that all aromatics are bad.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I'm currently smoking through a pouch of Mac Baren Cube Silver for the first time and I love it!
Thanks to this thread, I now have a couple of more aros to try!
Retriever and Labrador

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have some quality aro blends from a B&M that's been in business since 1977. He get's about $70.00 an lb.

When I first started, I picked up some Captain Black White Pouched and found it an improvement over the other drug store blends I'd bought, but you all know the story of aros and beginners..

The Pipe Den in Vero Beach FL (www.pipeandcigar,com)

The ex bought me another lb of Indian River Gold, his best seller, to add to the one I'm already burning.

I highly !! recommend the Royal Poincianna. It's got an amazing smoothness, as do all of Bob's blends really, and they all burn so completely without a lot of work.

If he's open today, I'll be stopping by as I'm in town on a visit from Ocala, which is about 3 hours north.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Drew Estates Meat Pie is a nice quality english aromatic, similar to the frog morton series. If your an aromatic smoker wanting to try english blends this would be a great start. I love English blends so this is the perfect blend for me when I want to smoke an aromatic, it gives me the best of both worlds. Being a quality tobacco and blended well, you can smoke an aro and still taste tobacco. As mso489 was saying, that's usually the problem with most aromatics. But he has a great criteria.

I want to taste a

good tobacco and let the flavoring accent that in an aromatic. If all I am tasting is vanilla and caramel,

I think I may want an ice cream sundae.
@mso489 - Well said!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I've had to dip back into aros again as I like smoking with the windows up during my drive to work and VAs leave a stale smell in the car. I went back to Molto Dolce (my favorite aro) and now everyone enjoys the smell of "brownies" in my car, even my fiance who usually HATES the way my pipe tobacco smells.
But smoking aros is kind of boring as they lack the nuances that a good VA flake has.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
For a change of pace from vapers like CDBM and CDE, my go-to is Sutliff MD, but I never feel the warm caramel and honey gushing through my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.