PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
So my first decent pipe is a Stanwell 03 Billiard. Maybe it's sentimentality because it's my first, but I really enjoy smoking this pipe. I've managed to PAD my way into several others since I switched to pipes from Cigars almost a year ago, but this one still gets a lot of love. So today I was smoking some Old Limey Bastard and I noticed that the cake buildup was beyond nice, it was actually too thick. So for the first time ever, I had to ream a pipe. I even had to remove my reaming tool from the package. So 10 months, 10 pipes and 23 pounds in the cellar, but now I'm finally a real piper.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just so you know, the option is to wipe out the bowl with a paper towel or napkin after you scoop out the ash, and maintain the carbon layer that way without building cake. This maintains the diameter of the chamber and eliminates the need for, and wear of reaming. A minority of devoted Forums members prefer this method. But if you love cake building, do it. Just so you know you have the choice. In you ream, go carefully and gently; you can wreck a pipe with overzealous reaming.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You can also have just one pipe, and one tin and be a 'real' piper, not to rehash the whole 'serious piper' thread. But it is good to see you are diving right into the hobby (also a contentious term). I'm with Tom above, easy on the reaming, it can be easy to over ream and wreck a good pipe.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I'm with Mso on this. I don't use a paper towel but give the bowl a good rubbing with a bent over pipe cleaner used as a crank. This keeps the cake build up to a minimum. It does keep building but it's far slower than if I didn't do it. I must ream out the pipe eventually but it's more like every two years.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Yeah, I don't use a paper towel but I wipe out the inside with a pipe cleaner every time. This is the cake that formed after doing that for nine months. #RealPiper

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Congratulations on achieving piper status. And we’ve all been there. It reminds me of Steve Martin in the movie, The Jerk.

giphy.gif

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
I'd say y'all make me feel like a Philistine. But you don't. I'm a heathen. You give me a paper towel, I'll either eat it or blow my nose into it. So there, nyah.
Bill

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I have an interesting round brush I got from an art supply store years ago. You insert the brush, twist the handle several times, and tap the pipe out. (I should have included a photo, but I've never seen a place since then where I could get this brush.)

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I have an interesting round brush I got from an art supply store years ago. You insert the brush, twist the handle several times, and tap the pipe out. (I should have included a photo, but I've never seen a place since then where I could get this brush.)
That sounds pretty cool. What kind of bristles?

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
A real pipesmoker?

When I hear that term, I do not think of a man on a forum. I think of a draftsman with sleeve suspenders, or a miner coming in after a hard day and settling down with a pint of bitter while his wife makes the tea(supper). But everyone on this forum is a real pipesmoker and a lot of them know a lot more than the average "real" pipesmoker ever did.

Conspicuous consumption is the name of the game today and with forums, online pipeshops stocking more and diverse items than probably any brick and mortar shop in history, tobacco review sites with tens of thousands of reviews to be perused at a moment's notice, we are a very long way from the experience of 99% of men in "The Golden Age" of pipe smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.