Tags:  No tags yet. 

I Guess I'm a Real Piper Now

(16 posts)
  • Started 8 months ago by blackadderlxx
  • Latest reply from highwaycobbery
  1. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

So my first decent pipe is a Stanwell 03 Billiard. Maybe it's sentimentality because it's my first, but I really enjoy smoking this pipe. I've managed to PAD my way into several others since I switched to pipes from Cigars almost a year ago, but this one still gets a lot of love. So today I was smoking some Old Limey Bastard and I noticed that the cake buildup was beyond nice, it was actually too thick. So for the first time ever, I had to ream a pipe. I even had to remove my reaming tool from the package. So 10 months, 10 pipes and 23 pounds in the cellar, but now I'm finally a real piper.

Posted 8 months ago #
  2. scooterdoo

scooterdoo

Login to Send PM

Nice! I await this day with fear and excitement.

Posted 8 months ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just so you know, the option is to wipe out the bowl with a paper towel or napkin after you scoop out the ash, and maintain the carbon layer that way without building cake. This maintains the diameter of the chamber and eliminates the need for, and wear of reaming. A minority of devoted Forums members prefer this method. But if you love cake building, do it. Just so you know you have the choice. In you ream, go carefully and gently; you can wreck a pipe with overzealous reaming.

Posted 8 months ago #
  4. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can also have just one pipe, and one tin and be a 'real' piper, not to rehash the whole 'serious piper' thread. But it is good to see you are diving right into the hobby (also a contentious term). I'm with Tom above, easy on the reaming, it can be easy to over ream and wreck a good pipe.

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm with Mso on this. I don't use a paper towel but give the bowl a good rubbing with a bent over pipe cleaner used as a crank. This keeps the cake build up to a minimum. It does keep building but it's far slower than if I didn't do it. I must ream out the pipe eventually but it's more like every two years.

Posted 8 months ago #
  6. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

10 pipes make for a comfortable rotation, and 23 lbs. of tobacco demonstrates serious commitment.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 8 months ago #
  7. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I don't use a paper towel but I wipe out the inside with a pipe cleaner every time. This is the cake that formed after doing that for nine months. #RealPiper

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on achieving piper status. And we’ve all been there. It reminds me of Steve Martin in the movie, The Jerk.

Neal
    Posted 8 months ago #
  9. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd say y'all make me feel like a Philistine. But you don't. I'm a heathen. You give me a paper towel, I'll either eat it or blow my nose into it. So there, nyah.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  10. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an interesting round brush I got from an art supply store years ago. You insert the brush, twist the handle several times, and tap the pipe out. (I should have included a photo, but I've never seen a place since then where I could get this brush.)

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  11. blackadderlxx

blackadderlxx

Login to Send PM

I have an interesting round brush I got from an art supply store years ago. You insert the brush, twist the handle several times, and tap the pipe out. (I should have included a photo, but I've never seen a place since then where I could get this brush.)

That sounds pretty cool. What kind of bristles?

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You give me a paper towel, I'll ... eat it

gotta get your fibre from somewhere Bill, we won't judge you.

Posted 8 months ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ask ten pipesmokers, get ten different answers.
    Are you a real pipe smoker? Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll send a pic of the brush tomorrow. The bristles seem to be a stiff nylon.

Posted 8 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

thehappypiper

Login to Send PM

A real pipesmoker?
    When I hear that term, I do not think of a man on a forum. I think of a draftsman with sleeve suspenders, or a miner coming in after a hard day and settling down with a pint of bitter while his wife makes the tea(supper). But everyone on this forum is a real pipesmoker and a lot of them know a lot more than the average "real" pipesmoker ever did.
    Conspicuous consumption is the name of the game today and with forums, online pipeshops stocking more and diverse items than probably any brick and mortar shop in history, tobacco review sites with tens of thousands of reviews to be perused at a moment's notice, we are a very long way from the experience of 99% of men in "The Golden Age" of pipe smoking.

Posted 8 months ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

highwaycobbery

Login to Send PM

Over reaming can hurt your pipe and your butt.

Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, cigrmaster, mikefu, autumnfog, didimauw, morgansteele, alaskanpiper, ron123, ashdigger, cortezattic, jaygreen55, georged, brooklynpiper