PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
lol, in a cup for a test for nicotine (cotine), for an insurance company.
Wife and I have bought a fine new (to us) home in a great part of my city. Naturally, we need to take out a mortgage from the bank to pay for our new abode. Bank says we need disability & life insurance for the mortgage and the company providing the insurance wants a "urine" sample from me because they are aware that I smoke a pipe. Told them the truth, that I smoke my pipe only once or twice a week, and I probably average about 4 bowls a week most of the time. Smoke mostlly Frog Morton, Blackhouse or Fusiller's Ration type tobacco which I believe tends to be lower in nicotine.
Basically, my monthly rate pretty much doubles because I smoke a pipe twice a week due to the health risk of smoking. It has been about 10 days since I last smoked my pipe to try to ensure a lower nicotine level. Nurse was supposed to come to our home yesterday for us to sign a form, talk to the wife & I about health concerns and collect my urine to test for nicotine. She did not arrive, had a family emergency apparently. I hope she comes soon as I really would like a bowl or two. I was worried about being "addicted", but it really has not been an issue. I want to smoke a bowl because I enjoy it, not because my body craves it and that was good to find out, but let's get this test done already.
How long does nicotine stay in a person's system typically and if my rate has doubled, why even test a urine sample for nicotine?

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
No idea, but I've noticed also that I don't have cravings to smoke like I did with cigs. Not sure why that is I can feel the nic hit a lot of the time when I smoke a bowl, but I really don't understand why it affects me differently. It's probably entirely psychological.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Anyone know if Nicotine can be detected in urine? I've been told that it can be detected in blood tests,but not in urine.Anyone know if this is true?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Slownumbers, a bank cannot make you take out a choke and croak( Life and disability) policy just because you are getting a mortgage from them. Now mortgage insurance may be a requirement if certain conditions are applicable, but I have never needed mortgage insurance on any house I have bought. This sounds like your loan officer came from the car business and is trying to jam this down your throat. I would contact the underwriter and tell them you do not need that kind of policy and if they say you do then I would find a new lender. If this policy is something you want, then you should never let the bank who writes your mortgage have anything to do with your insurance needs. You should be using an independent company and you should also make sure whoever the underwriter is has an A+ rating with AM Best. There are too many insurance companies who take your money, but when the time comes, pay you nothing.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I am in agreement with Cigrmaster. This sounds like your bank isn't playing on good grounds.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm waving the bulls**t flag along with Harris here. Check your state and local laws and get a second (read: another bank) opinion before committing to anything like this.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
+1, 2 3 &4 to Harris -- There should be absolutely no requirement for such a test, nor for the insurance.
Light up & relax!

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Ok, first off.....thank you everyone for the information, appreciated.
I guess a somewhat important piece of information is that I live in Canada, so the rules could easily be different. My wife is a person that pretty much would be very uneasy without some form of backup, I am more into alternative solutions.
Will check further into the rules regarding mortgage insurance.

Aug 1, 2012
Tied selling is pretty much illegal in Canada so I would question your bank about it and still get a second opinion.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Slow, I'm in Ontario and you do not need to have mortgage insurance per say, you just have to have enough life insurance to cover the mortgage. If you already have that then tell the bank to take off. I used to sell insurance and the mortgage insurance is one of the biggest scams out there, diminishing return for increasing premiums. Think about it, as you pay off your mortgage the benefit of mortgage insurance decreases while you rates will increase over time. Check out your. Current life insurance to see if it covers the amount of the mortgage then you won't need the banks insurance.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This is why honesty isn't the best policy. Trust me, it's gotten me pretty far in life so far, I don't smoke I say, just play stupid usually and it will take you farther in life than you can imagine. "Oh, I thought you meant cigarettes"

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
My wife tried to tell the doctor I smoked because I have 1 bowel after dinner. I wouldn't let her and insisted that I do not smoke. Things like this are the reason why.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
The insurance requested might be PMI if the down payment amount is less than 20%.
Do not buy a mortgage insurance policy. In its place a term life policy will be lots cheaper. If you do not want the insurance to expire after say 15 or 30 years then buy continuous coverage at a locked in rate. This rate is based on your current age at policy issuance and if will not change. Term insurance rates will adjust in 5 year increments.
Best wishes to you and your family.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My wife tried to tell the doctor I smoked because I have 1 bowel after dinner.
I'm pretty sure most doctors would consider a bowel after dinner to be a healthy activity.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
'm pretty sure most doctors would consider a bowel after dinner to be a healthy activity.
Maybe back in the good ol days...... Not now.
LuckiesDoctor.jpg

dentistreccomendedL_620x414.jpg

smoking_01.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I know from personal experience that quitting for 2 weeks will guarantee a pass, but I have a friend who said that 5 days is all you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.