PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
So I'm sitting in my dads's makeshift workshop, looking at this pipe I've had for awhile, which smoked okay, but seemed to gurgle a lot, so wasn't smoked often. It dawns on me to throw the sucker in a vice, and try to open the airway with a hand drill (cue foreboding music). This decision led to a positive result, and I started eyeing other pipes I could fix. My eye lands on a Grabow I've had for a bit, that I smoke on Wednesdays, and I proceed to open the airway in the stem. I started at the tenon end, but soon found out that my drill bit wasn't long enough to make it all the way through.... So what does my dumb ass do without even thinking...? That's right, I flipped that stem around and started drilling through the button end!!! CRRAAACK! Split that button right in half. Totally demolished the stem on my Wednesday pipe.
Look before you leap Gentlemen, that's all I have to say. That, and it looks like I'll be looking for a new pipe today!

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
I won"t ask how old you are but rather how many years have you been smoking pipes.? This reminds me of my wondering what would happen while sitting in a car if I moved gear shift lever while in slanted driveway. Missed the tree.shel

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Ahhh...thanks for the laugh! We have all been there...let us know what you end up picking up for a Wednesday smoker. :)

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Uh... Everyday for... Four or five years now? That's irrelevant though, as my pipe smoking skills, are perfect. :nana: Your question should have been "How much do you know about drilling through a pipe's stem?" To which I would have replied... "Nothing."
I was a little inebriated, and the success of my first drilling had me way too excited to improve the rest of my pipes. Needless to say, I put the drill away after this event, and stared at my toes for the remainder of the evening.
Geoffrey- I'm sure it will be another Grabow. That's all I can find in my hometown, and I can't afford anything nicer ATM.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's a huge lesson to learn and tough to swallow. I'm sure you'll find an adequate replacement stem for your Wed. pipe if you look diligently.

I broke a stem in half trying to bend it this morning. I was using a tea candle and had achieved success on three other pipes, and was on a roll.

I hate to lose ANY pipe in my rotation, even if I've only used it sporadically. I'll keep the stummel and find a stem....eventually. It was a nice chunky square ebonite, I think. I just wanted a slight curve, that's all. I think a slight curve clenches better for me. Keeps it more out of the line of sight too.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You can send that Grabow to the factory for a new stem. Cost is about $12-$14.00. The stems (vulcanite) on the older Grabows were quite thin,usually right at the 4MM bench mark that is touted today.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Grabow will fit a new stem for like 11 bucks shipped I believe
edit...guess Ed and I were typing at the same time :)

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I've thought about that. I don't know why I hesitate. I have another Grabow, my best pipe in fact, that is also in need of a new stem. It developed a split down the middle (this one due to inferior stem material- not my own stupidity), which I fixed with super glue, but I'd like to see it in "like new" condition, again. I just worry these new stems will come back as thick as my thumb. Plus, I'd have to go without my Wednesday and Saturday pipes for some time!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just use the drill bit made into the handle of my Senior reamer. Not a power tool, just has a knurled tip for hand powered drillng. Btw, nothing wrong with a good dependable Grabow, smoked those exclusively when I was much younger. As for the inebriation, hide the power tools when the alcohol comes out. Had many a redneck moment myself! (Hold my beer honey, watch this sh*t!) :rofl:

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I agree chasingembers, Grabows can be solid pipes. Usually though, I find that in addition to the horrible plastic they use for the stems, the button tends to be waaaay too thick. I've bought more than several Dr. G's in the last few years, and out of all of them, I only kept two- due to the unacceptable stem work. I have also noticed a rise in price in my area :?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know what you mean. My first pipe was a Grabow Omega that I paid $15 for back in '91. Noticed last week that locally, an Omega is nearing $40. I know I smoke fairly expensive artisian pieces, but $40 for a Grabow is insane.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree chasingembers, Grabows can be solid pipes. Usually though, I find that in addition to the horrible plastic they use for the stems, the button tends to be waaaay too thick. I've bought more than several Dr. G's in the last few years, and out of all of them, I only kept two- due to the unacceptable stem work. I have also noticed a rise in price in my area [:?]
I find that a file and some sandpaper and a little buffing take care of those thick ABS plastic buttons and lip areas in short order.

If you send a pipe to the factory for a new stem and it originally had a vulcanite stem,that is what they will put in it if they have it in stock. The vulcanite stems they use today are old stock left over from the days when they made pipes with vulcanite stems.

Also if you're in the market for a Grabow the first place you should contact is the factory. Cheaper if bought direct. For info on ordering contact Debbie at Debbie.Osborne@internationalpipes.com
Omega's can be bought several places cheaper than $40.00.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Brother, I think if you can get another Grabow at a good price then go for it...no shame in that game...they can be excellent smaller pipes.
The only power tool to break out with the alcohol is ye ole blender...Pina Coladas anyone? :P

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's a real bummer, sorry to hear about the drunken power tool mishap.

That's a tough way to learn but often lessons like that stick with us the most.

Hope you get your pipes fixed up or replaced soon.

Mar 1, 2014
I got away with putting a bend a little over 90 degrees in my Savinelli 614. Hangs really good now.

That Vulcanite is amazingly springy even after it's hot enough to burn you. I was kind of shocked when I saw the stem straighten out as soon as I gave it some heat, and getting it in the bent position needed a lot of pressure (and pain tolerance if you were too lazy to grab gloves).

I use a heat gun and it works well for getting stuff hot without burning the material, it just takes 15-20 minutes of constantly moving the gun.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The 'lesson' I learned about bending a fairly thick stem, is to get it good and hot, not just malleable.

It broke like a piece of fudge.

owen

May 28, 2014
At least you didnt open yourself up. Trying to fit a not quite fitting stem to a Canadian shaped pipe I bought I broke half the stummel off.

Status
Not open for further replies.