PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A few months ago, I grabbed one of those $10 Panama Jack "Pipe-G" lighters on P&C.
I found the performance OK, not awesome. My biggest gripe is that the flame adjustment doesn't go as low as I'd like, but can live with it.
My minor, secondary gripe was the "2 outa 3" ignition rate. I was using an old partial can of Ronson fuel I had lying around.
A few weeks ago, I realized that the Ronson was running dry, so I picked up a big can of Colibri fuel.
Very nice improvement. I've gone to about a "9 outa 10" ignition rate, which, for a $10 lighter, suits me just fine.
If you have an old lighter in the drawer, try some different fuel. Apparently, it does make a difference.
jay-roger.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yeah that Ronson gas is complete garbage. You should use at least 5x refined gas.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you think the Ronson gas hurt the ignition rate for a soft flame lighter, you should see what it does to torch cigar lighters. They get so gunked up that you'll be lucky if they light at all. I stick with highly-refined butane.
Russ

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'm in the Vector 14 camp. Best butane I've ever used. Even my crankiest lighters perk up with that stuff running through their veins. And, you can get 6 or 12 packs on Amazon for a song... well, two songs for the 12-pack.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I use Whip-it. No lighter problems since I switched to it and my lighter stays cleaner overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.