PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I just got a new job at a nice restaurant. It's only as a dishwasher, and part time. But the lady who did my interview said that I would be able to work my way up to cooking on the line and that she would like to see that. To be honest I don't even care that it just a dish washing position. I don't mind washing dishes. I'm just happy to be getting out fast food.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Congrats Uber!!! When your a fancy chef remember us here on the forums and send us some morsels of your creation.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Glad for you Ben, the secret to success is always do more than is asked, and the old Gamblers song Know when to Hold or Fold them is in this case referring to your mouth, a wise man listens, and what I heard on that radio show tells me you are a wise man. Good Luck.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Fantastic, amazing how much easier life is when someone is willing to work. Was a dishwasher myself and with that super high power hoze thing they had it was actually pretty fun. Congrats!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Congrats uber!
It's long days, hard work and can be stressful, but if you love all things food and cooking, it's not really work, it's doing something you love and look forward to every day.
+1
There's a saying or proverb that goes something like (paraphrasing) "if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life"
Very true.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Congrats, Uber! The dish pit is only the first step, as I'm sure you well know. You'll be in the kitchen in no time.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey Ben, I worked in fast food for nearly 15 years before switching to a career in marketing and starting a personal chef/catering business. Nothing wrong with fast food, it teaches you a lot of important things. At the top of the list is the "sense of urgency" that is required in the restaurant business. If you retain nothing else from your days in fast food, remember always how you had to constantly keep moving and that will hold you in good stead for the rest of your restaurant career.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Way to go Uber!
I've been a one-company guy since going to work as a barista right after University. I thought I was getting a job, it turned into a career. I wish you all the best with your new gig, and hope you get exactly what you want from it.
-- Pat

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I think everyone should start with a job in food service. My first job as a teen was in a BBQ restaurant in the 80's/90's and I did it all, from bathrooms to cooking(not at the same time of course) 8O

Builds character and gives you lots of experience.

Good luck.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Congrats Uber! I just spent the last month and half washing dishes at our local Texas Roadhouse, but within the last two days have left for greener pastures- to be a bus boy! I prefer to call my self a bus man though, as all my fellow bussers are between the ages of 16-18, and I'm 24. I also work another job during the day, so the late hours weren't really working to my advantage. Plus, I aspire to be a server, and this just puts me that much closer to the action.
I was also a cook at Buffalo Wild Wings for two years, and I have to say, it was a great job. There's nothing in my experience that requires as much team-work as being a line cook. You have the chance to build strong relationships- which the high-stress environment lends to.

Status
Not open for further replies.