PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I have read good and not so good reports on thunderbird inserts for Zippos .

It seems that they have a hatred for me lol, as I have tried 3 ,

2 with flint and 1 with electric spark only one of the flint bothered to light

that is after probably a dozen attempts for each LIGHT.

The others never bothered to even to try to light even after wearing my thumb out

in the attempt.

I have a few Zippos with regular inserts but I don't like the fluid smell

( I understand other don't mind)

Now that I have given up on the thunderbird IS there another brand that anyone

has had success with?

hoo

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Basically those inserts use technology from a $1 Chinese BIC knockoff to give the same lack of functionality to a Zippo. Zippos have their drawbacks but for outdoor use are arguably unbeatable. Using Zippo fuel, not overfilling, and allowing the flame to burn one second before lighting up eradicates all traces of fuel odor.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I have never had problems with either the Thunderbird flint or the Z-Plus piezo-electric ignitions, even at my elevation of 8100 feet. I always hold the lighter horizontally, as one would to light a pipe, which allows enough butane to accumulate in the combustion chamber to ignite. Proper adjustment of the gas flow is critical for best performance (stating the obvious).

Neither are very useful in anything more than a very light wind.

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Those inserts are the best way to turn the worlds most reliable lighter into the least reliable.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
The thunderbird's are horrible junk. Now the "Stanwell" "Hearth and Home" lighters from P&C which has the same type of insert are top notch. Buy one throw the case out (they are junk) and put the insert in Zippo. Much better design, I have been using one for about two years now and no problems.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I've had zero problems with my Thunderbird. I haven't tried it in a hurricane though... :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Guess I have been lucky. I bought my two T-bird inserts six years ago and have never had an issue with either. I do purge the air before refilling, but I think that only aids in getting a full fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.