banner

Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

I gave my collection to my psuedo son in law but he is still a junkie/alcoholic

(52 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ottorank56

Login to Send PM

I gave almost my whole collection to my pseudo son in law and had hopes he would take up pipemaking, but it did not turn him around the least. He still does drugs/alcohol and does not even empty his pipes nor clean them. I feel I squandered my beloved briars on an incorrigble junkie/alcoholic.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Take them back.

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. moses

Moses

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is a heavy first post, man. Welcome to the forums and sorry about your son in law's negligence and apparent self destructiveness.

~seanMoses~
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You should have given him the pseudo collection instead.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Why would giving your collection have any effect on addressing your son-in-law's addiction? What does one thing have to do with the other?

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

October 4th, 2015... pipesmagazine officially becomes a grocery store checkout-line tabloid.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with SB52. What is the cause and (no) effect here? I am sorry for your predicament.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  8. cobguy

cobguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum.

If you want to change someone's behavior, it will take a lot of time, understanding and love. Giving them another vice is no replacement for direct involvement. Best wishes to both of you.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum. I must say I agree with what some have said. I'd look to get them back and enjoy them yourself. Of course I'd clean 'em up and use a lot of alcohol... rubbing alcohol that is.

More importantly is your daughter. Is this a relationship she needs to be in/out?

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go get your pipes, slap him up-side the head and then get your daughter a good lawyer.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brilliant! Give him something he may be able to sell to support his habit.

My cynicism may be in over-drive, I'm not sure I buy into the post.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

It's either a tragic story of epic proportions....or a post by a warty, humpback creature often found lurking under bridges....

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I say its time to become an Indian giver.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For someone's first Post that is so personal, you're either a Fruad or very Stupid, maybe both..

The Old Cajun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pics or it didnt happen

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. peteguy

peteguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. tobyducote

NOLA Cajun

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting first post..what would give you any indication that giving him your pipes would take him from a substance abuse addiction and make him want to start carving pipes? It doesn't make any sense to me...here "drug addict" here are some pipes...oh thank you..now I'm going to start making pipes....nope I don't buy it...

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to be a dick, but technically you would have to convince him to give them back to you. You said yourself you gave them to him. They are his. That sucks but I have to agree with others why would you give him something worth value if you know he has a problem? Last, my prayers for you and your family. Having a family member with an addiction like that sucks.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe family counseling could help, or a minister or priest to get help started, and/or rehabilitation for this son-in-law. Pipesmagazine Forum can't help you with this. We can all stand around and shake our heads, but so what? Nonetheless, welcome to Forums. If you'd like to chat about pipes, tobaccos, and related subjects, we're here.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure I understand the logic of giving a substance abuser another habit. It doesn't seem like a well thought out strategy. Sorry about your pipes but I really must question the reasoning behind your actions. Sounds more like you're hoping for a miracle. But MSO is right, this isn't the place to find help. You need to be talking to professionals.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. elbert

elbert

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He still does drugs/alcohol and does not even empty his pipes nor clean them.

We're supposed to clean these things!?

"An thou hast them, smoketh them!" -An Old Philosopher
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to be mean or insensitive, but this sounds like a troll. If not its got to be one of the dumbest moves by a pipe smoker ever. I agree with the others that mention the fact that one does not relate to the other. Plus why would you give away most of your collection to a junkie/alcoholic. Try 1 to start if anything or better yet go buy him a corn cob.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Shit-posting alive and well. I gave my son in law powder cocaine and he promised he wouldn't cook it into freebase, then on top of that he uses my unsmoked 1920 Dunhill to smoke it with and chars the shit out of the rim!!!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can believe the OP is genuine.
    I've tried sharing my hobbies with people before, and the result is usually somewhere along the lines of the description given. If you've spent any significant amount of time or money in any given thing, you're probably the only person in the area who cares enough to treat those specific items with due respect.
    Depending on how far down the rabbit hole you go, the number of people who can grasp what you're dealing with might be very, very few.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Otto:

I've got this friend in Louisiana who'd read your post and maybe write:

"For someone's first Post that is so personal, you're either a Fraud or very Stupid, maybe both."

Oh, wait a minute.

I'll be go to hell.

Bradley already wrote that. Never mind.

Still, I'd like to know something. What's a pseudo son in law? They're either married or they aren't. (Has he fathered your grandchildren - in wedlock or out?) And if you came here sincerely because of this forum's reputation of kindness, generosity and willingness to share then that was just flat out foolish. You really should have been contacting your state's Division of Family Services to draw a line in the sand and reclaim your family.

Otto, sack up.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  26. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry for the pipes

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #
  27. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like your daughter married "Snake". You wee supposed to use a Shotgun to discourage this. Shame On You!

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. shawnofthedead

Shawn

Login to Send PM

My question is, who would give his daughter to this son in law?

Life would go on as it had always gone on - that is, badly.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Few parents can give- or withhold- their daughters or sons to anyone. Besides, "pseudo son-in-law" implies common law marriage or simply living together.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

ottorank56

Login to Send PM

Well thanks for all the comments. To clarify, my "daughter" is of no official blood relation to me. Therefore pseudo is the most appropriate term. Thank you for all the comments. I appreciate every one. Also, there are highly functioning junkies/alcoholics. Take the late Senator Kennedy for instance.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I sure as hell wouldn't have given Teddy Kennedy my pipes, either. He'd be likely to get them all wet, driving off a bridge.

Seriously, ottorank, that is an awfully odd way to introduce yourself to the group.

Finally, if this young woman is someone for whom you have responsibility -- blood relation or not -- it is HER wellbeing you need to address, no?

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Ottorank just busting your balls, welcome to the forums, I hope you learned you can't help an addict, they have to help themselves.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. hawke

hawke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with the statement...

Pipesmagazine Forum can't help you with this.

We can offer some empathy and constructive criticism. We may also direct you to a place to get clarification for your own role in this. Here's a link for you. Alanon

Are those Tobacco Brownies?
    Posted 3 years ago #
  34. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, there are highly functioning junkies/alcoholics. Take the late Senator Kennedy for instance.

I must say that's the first time I've heard Ted Kennedy referred to as "highly functioning".

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. bonehed

bonehed

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe he meant functioning, highly.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

ottorank56

Login to Send PM

Oh yes Ted Kennedy was highly functional. Look at how he "convinced" Aristotle Onassis to fork over 20 million to Jackie when they divorced. Is it a coincidence that Ari's son died in a jet accident or just another example of good old American exceptionalism?

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

ottorank56

Login to Send PM

Does anybody know what John Mitchell's favorite tobacco was? Or Gerald Ford's?

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. bonehed

bonehed

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Famous smokers

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wasn't Ted Kennedy the guy who had cancer eating holes in his brain for the last ten years he was in the Senate, and no one noticed any difference?

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  40. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Hm.... My parents were both terrible alcoholics for most of my life. They are the reason that I don't drink. Never have, never will. So I understand where you are coming from. But knowing the current situation, I would not have given either of them anything of mine that I cared about.

Good luck to you!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

ottorank56

Login to Send PM

Closure about my pseudo son in law. He has great talent and skill with wood. His father is a master cabinet maker. His father was also untreated for PTSD for over 10 years. The Viet Nam war. The boy was also the victim of sexual molestation by an adult male member of their Jehovah's Witness congregation. Sigh. I know, addicts/alcoholics always have an excuse. So that is that. I firmly believed my wonderful hobby could only help the boy in his recovery from 13 years of dual addictions. Occupy his time as pleasantly as it does for me. However, he drank the Everclear, which is to clean pipes with, never cleaned the pipes, charred the rims, and so on. I told him Stalin never cleaned his pipes either and only smoked Royal Yacht, noxious clouds, deliberately offensive. The boy thought was pretty funny and cool. I find myself like the cartoon character in King of the Hill, good old Hank, but dealing with Beavis and Butthead. Their child is very advanced, but I do not know what will happen. I reference Terman's genuis study, and I reference Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. No doubt the pseudo grandson will be good at something. Sigh. Ok. Thank you brothers of the briar for all your input. I have learned and been entertained as well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Surprised this one hasn't been MOD-ified

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I told him Stalin never cleaned his pipes either and only smoked Royal Yacht, noxious clouds, deliberately offensive.

Actually Stalins smoke was Herzegovina Flor, which are cigarettes, he would crumble the cigarette into his pipe. His favorite was Edgeworth Ready Rubbed.

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread just gets better and better! That poor, old "son-in-law" just can't catch a break!

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

PTSD is the new ADD. Everyone has it and wields it like a big stick.
    I'm not even necessarily kidding about everyone having it (or just about everyone, who hasn't experienced something traumatic?), the only thing new here is it's acceptable to use it as an excuse.

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. aggravatedfarmer

aggravatedfarmer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He probably sold your pipes on eBay to us to afford more drugs and alcohol.

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Otto, I had you pegged as a troll on the first post....but you took it to a whole level on your last post...that's some funny stuff! (And on the 5% chance that any of this is genuine, you should order a bag of MM cobs, some tins of Prince Albert, pack your bags and move across the country to get away from the craziness)

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kudos, Otto! You swung that dead cat like a pro.

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everybody is a victim these days. What the hell ever happened to pulling yourself by the boot straps? This thread reads like a soap opera.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smh. Fake or not it would be dumb to give the dude all your stuff in hopes it'll make him snap out of his need for alcohol.

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

Gerald Ford smoked - Field and Stream, Half and Half, SWR

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Otto has some high entertainment skills, that's for sure.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   oldgeezersmoker, philobeddoe, ebnash, cossackjack