PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
danish-0417-600x448.jpg

OK I am primarily a straight up Virginia smoker. My exposure to aromatics is limited to what the hell I'll try a bowl of trout stream and then buy a tin of firedance because I thought it might be somewhat like university flake (it definitely was not).
I have had the tin of Romanza for years, unopened. The smell of the topping is quite evident, even when sealed. It is quite sweet, fruity and pleasant.
So Saturday I had been working my way through a bottle of vermouth via some gin and tonic, and popped the tin on a whim. The topping comes through the smoke nicely and after a while I did get the background virginia. The topping is very sweet, but for some reason I find it pleasant, not unbearable like the others I have tried.
I bought two more tins today. It will not replace Escudo or Folded flake for me, but I could see me reaching for it from time to time. I am also becoming more open minded about aromatics in general, so thank you Brebbia.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Now that you've found a tongue for that one, give others a chance. I couldn't smoke aromatics for over twenty years, then just last year it clicked and now I've found several that I enjoy.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have foreigners with some, wondering why did I waste my time and others I get. Did insurance Autumn Evening and Trout Stream are nice smokes. Three blind moose has yet to come across like the reviews describe... Not even close.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I absolutely hate autocorrect. Parked in traffic, I did not proofread and now that mess makes no sense. My point was that I rarely get aromatics. A few, like Trout stream and autumn evening are good stuff. But 3 blind mooses is not close to the reviews. I am sure it is just me.

kirkland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Romanza? Sounds like an old western TV series. They have a couple of other blends called Little Joe. Hoss. Hopsing.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So I've decided to continue the aromatic binge. Picked up some Wilke rumcake, #191, and #194. Also got this canted pipeworks while I was there.

wilke-0417-600x448.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.