I Forgot My Lighter! Thank Heaven for Cobs!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2010
I fired up my pipe with a match before leaving for my weekly 70 mile drive to the nearby city to visit kinfolks.
Out on the highway, I realized, to my horror, that I had left my constant traveling companion (a Corona Pipe Magie) on the side table! Oh no! No matches in the car. What will I do when I need to relight? (The Corona's 90-degree flame being perfect for one-hand relights while driving).
But I was lucky with my pipe choice of the day: an '80s vintage Missouri Meerschaum bent cob (with the old, wide, quality plastic mouthpiece they no longer use).
I nursed the pipe tenderly, using every trick I know to keep it lit. And it DID stay lit! I smoked it pleasurably, all the way to the bottom! I really doubt if any of my briars would have come thru for me like that!
Not only do M-M cobs usually require only a single initial light, their draft makes for many fewer relights!
God bless Missouri Meerschaum!

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Amen, Jimbo. When I'm not at home, if I'm smoking, I'm probably smoking one of my MM cobs. They've yet to let me down even a little.
Lovely little under-appreciated workhorses. And if you take care of them (or even if you don't, for that matter), smoke quality to price ratio is unbeatable. You can call me a fan for life.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
Amen to that. I smoke briar pipes plenty, but I love my cobs and there are times when I go on kicks where I will only want my cobs. They always smoke great and you can't beat the value for the price.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I can say that my cobs offer me the same luxury as well. It is not to say that it cannot be achieved as easily with a briar pipe, but it can be more challenging. Glad that it all worked out for you!
-Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.