I flew the plane to the Show in Chicago, again!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Five of the last six years I had good weather to fly the plane to the show. It is a four hour drive that I fly in one hour and 1 minute! What a treat it was. More than five thousand pipes on display and several thousand attendants for 340 exhibitors! I was impressed. It was bigger and better than last year. A show of young pipe smokers gave me pride in my hobby. The flying weather was fantastic. The lady from Denmark, beautiful, and about age thirty, took the pipe smoking contest for the ladies and was in the last eight of ninety-two participants. I fell in love with her! Of course it was an experienced older gentleman that won for the men! I could have purchased an Artisan pipe for $7,500. Or, $35. Everything you could possibly desire in pipes, accessories and tobacco, was there for you to see and buy. No, I did not spend very much on the "stuff" simply because it cost me more that $350 just to fly the plane there. Besides, I have a ton of tobacco and 46 pipes already. But it was great fun to be there today, Sunday, May 4th, 2014. I look forward to being there again, next year, flying weather permitting. Chris Tarler of Cornell & Diehl said that the sale of Capt. Bob's Blend is going well nationally and internationally! That made me very happy.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Big congratulations Captain!
Must be a blast to fly your own plane, a bit pricey though, but I'm sure it was worth every penny. Glad to hear you made the show.
As a newcomer I don't know many of the Vets around here, but it sure sounds like you're into this hobby deep. Just imagine, having your own blend, and selling so well. Now I'll have to do a little research on it.
Glad to hear you had such a good time and thanks for the report on the show. Hope I get to go someday!

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
dottiewarden,
Thanks for those kind words. I live in Appleton, WI. Craig Tarler and I worked for two and a half years together to create Capt. Bob's Blend. Originally, it was strictly to be a personal blend just for me. But, you know how it goes... so I gave permission to sell it to my friends. Then, a year later, Craig Tarler of Cornell and Diehl surprised me at the Chicago Show with his Artist and the tin artwork for my blend and asked permission to go public with it. Well, he did, and the rest is history! Below is a picture of me with the late Craig Tarler, his son Chris Tarler (now in charge of the Company), and Bob Hayes, Craig's son-in-law, (married to Chris' sister) at the Chicago Show when my Capt. Bob's Blend went public. What a wonderful family and a great bunch of fantastic people. I feel do privileged! I love Cornell and Diehl and all the people that make up this great organization to benefit us, the pipe hobbyists. More pics...

What is this all about??? It is the original black and white Artist's rendition for my logo tin artwork...

Captain Bob with the "family"...

Finally, I am with Craig when he showed me the samples at the Chicago Show that year, Captain Bob's Blend had the most tobacco sampled... I just could not believe it!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Being a foreign based member, it is unlikely I'll get to try your blends any time soon, but from what I've read you put in a great deal of effort to créate a truly unique product. If I ever figure out how to get tobacco in from the US, I'd love to give it a try. Do you ever fly down to Mexico?

Status
Not open for further replies.