Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

I Flaked Out...

(15 posts)
  1. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So last night I had my 1st Flake. We had our monthly meeting for the Seattle Pipe Club and phillip (member here) brought over for me to try. He patiently showed me how to rub it out and another folding method. So all of you were 100% right - it was no big deal. That said, I have to say I didnt love the tobacco taste. It was a mild HH Virginia. So far, I am just not enjoying the Virginias. I bought a tin of English to try that out. At least I no longer have a fear of the Flake though. Does anyone have a good Flake Aro I should try out? Cheers Phillip and thanks for the help.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You know, I don't really smoke aromatics but I do try to keep aware of what all is out there. And, for the life of me, I can't think of a single aromatic that is sold as a flake. (Unless things like Erinmore Flake qualify.)

Curious to see what suggestions you get.

Bob

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only way I like Virginia's is to use a clean, dedicated pipe strictly for Virginia tobaccos, and smoke them first thing in the morning. The ones I have tried are subtle sweet, almost like a red wine. In any other pipes they seem like ash to me.
    Wessex Burley Sliced is a good flake tobacco, has a licorice like finish, reminds me of the old Edgeworth slices. It's not aromatic, but I think you would enjoy it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two Flake aros are Erinmore ( which I highly recommend) http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/erinmore-flake
    and McB Vanilla Cream Flake http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/mac-baren-vanilla-cream-flake

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would first start with a full flavored flake such as Escudo. Then you might want to try Peterson Univerity flake as that is definitely an aromatic flake. If you like a rum topping I would suggest GL Pease Navigator and Rotary Navy Cut, both are favorites of mine. I would also suggest you cube cut the flake next time, I find I get the best smoke using that method. Also you want to have a clean pipe that is not ghosted with aromatics or Latakia, that will make a big difference in your ability to taste the Virginia's.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 Harris, I start the day with BBF, just a great pairing with my black tea. VA flake should always be cubed, there are plenty of things to rub, nice flakes are not. You miss out on a slow burning consistant hour of enjoyment. Take the time, the reward is worth it.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you enjoy English blends, I would suggest looking into some of the Gawith (both SG and GH) flakes like GH Bob's Chocolate Flake and SG Navy (rum). I would also suggest not giving up on Va's just yet - they cover the gambit from mildly sweet and grassy to sweet cherry notes, with everything from citrus notes to caramel inbetween - it may be that the flavour profile of that particular flake didn't agree with you. I personally don't enjoy blends of the ilk of Orlik Golden Sliced, but I would be remiss to not include straight Va's in my rotation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of the tobaccos I really enjoy are flakes and coins, come to think about it...

orlik golden sliced
    mb vanilla flake
    mb hh old dark fired
    erinmore flake
    mb navy flake
    mb club blend
    mb dark twist
    escudo
    rainer long golden
    stokebye 1931
    marlin flake
    hal o wynd
    sg best brown
    sg full virginia flake
    solani aged burley flake
    wessex gold brick
    germain best brown
    germain special ltakia flake

the list goes on. makes me wonder ... maybe the pressing into cakes and aging gives those wonderfully intense and complex flavors ... ?

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

zo - if you want hefty aromatic flakes, give Gawith Hoggarth scented flakes a shot.
    hfearly - pressing does intensify the flavor and volume of smoke. For a nominal fee, C&D will press any of their blends for you.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. I think Im going to stick w the Aros for now. When I spoke Phillip's HH last night, as I said, it was just OK and it didnt really resonate with me. Right afterwards I fired up a bowl of Lane BCA and really loved it. Who knows what the future holds but I'll no longer discount aro flakes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. mrgunnar177

mrgunnar177

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

....where/how can I get in contact to get my C&D blends pressed???

You can buy education, but wisdom is a gift from God.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mrg - re "....where/how can I get in contact to get my C&D blends pressed??? "

if you order directly (by phone) from C&D, they can do the pressing. I think Mike at marscigars can have it done by special order.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hey mrgunnar177, I wonder if the WA state law will come into affect regarding shipping to/from WA state. Don't know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have to say I didnt love the tobacco taste. It was a mild HH Virginia. So far, I am just not enjoying the Virginias.

I think many, if not most, virginia flake puffers came around to it after having been pipe smokers for a while (years).

Everything about pipe smoking is patience and virginias (particularly Va flakes) epitomize that.

As for some "aromatic flakes," Mac Baren makes a Vanilla Flake (more than a few members here like this one), so does Planta, and SG (Chocolate), to name a few.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Roth. I am going to try the Vanilla Flake. Probably start with 1 tin and see how I like it.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tbradsim1, daveinlax, pruss, briarblues, nhpro, sparks, condorlover1, brass, dread, toby67, jfox520, dmcmtk, darwin, papipeguy, derfatdutchman, buzkirk, trailboss