PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Over the years I've tried to give va/pers a chance, but to no avail. Until now, the only blends with a detectable presence of Perique that I've enjoyed are Frog Morton On The Bayou and Dunhill Nightcap. In other words, blends that have more Latakia than Perique.

Well, today I picked up a tin of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls at a B&M in Chattanooga. I couldn't wait to smoke some, so I went ahead and popped the tin! On opening the tin, the note is sweet and smells of dried fruit, the neatly stacked coins seemed to be at an acceptable moisture level for smoking straight from the tin.

Normally I pop a tin, jar it, and let it sit for a couple of days before I try it, but these things just looked and smelled so good that I couldn't help myself!

I took a couple of coins, used the fold n' stuff method, and loaded up!

On the charring light I was hit with the stewed fruit and natural sweetness of this tobacco, which carries on throughout the bowl.

There were a few relights half way through the bowl, but I attribute that to me not giving the tobacco any drying time whatsoever.
In conclusion, I could not be more impressed with how naturally sweet, mild tempered and delicate this blend is! This is the first time I've enjoyed a Va/Per at all, and I'll definitely be buying more!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you can hit a peak experience with leaf tobacco, you've graduated to a new level with pipes.

Orlik Golden Slice was my breakthrough, so subdued and sophisticated, but such nuanced flavor.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@peck. I've never tried Escudo, but it's on my list (along with about 100 other blends)! I've actually been trying to slow down on sampling new blends, but I have very little will power where tobacco is concerned, lol! I've been trying to stock up on several blends that I like, unfortunately some of those blends are now discontinued, so a lot of my tobacco funds have been going towards buying those blends before they're gone.

I plan to try Escudo in the near future though.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Cortez said:

I believe that Escudo and Dunhill Rolls are the same product.

If you want to see how fruit-like Perique can be, try Prairie Wind.
Spot-on assessment ...
I would also recommend Cornell and Diehl Bayou Morning to your attention ...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats Pete!
OGS was my first VaPer as well. It was fantastic and I wanted more of that spicy goodness.

Through reviews from members here, I discovered Louisiana Red (H&H) and it does the trick!
Looks like Prairie Wind is on my list now ... thanks Cortez!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Thanks now I've got something else to try. I love Escudo and just cellared 8 tins. I've been planning to get some Dunhill flake which I haven't tried, now I'll add this to the list too. sounds tasty

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@jgriff. They don't seem to move very much pipe tobacco inventory at Burns. I seem to remember them having nearly the same amount of every blend they had back when they had the pipe show there a few months ago! It would not surprise me if this tin didn't already have a year or two of age on it, maybe even more.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Yes!!! Dunhill Navy Rolls were the first flake and Vaper that I tried, and it still has to be my favorite tobacco!! I have a tin of Escudo waiting to bust open to compare it to (along with a few tins of Dunhill's DNR that I have aging), but not until I've gotten through the QP of St. James flake I got a while back, almost half way through it now... but those Navy Rolls I could smoke all day every day!!

Dec 24, 2012
I believe that Escudo and Dunhill Rolls are the same product.
Heh heh. Not this old chestnut again. I do believe they are the same but many (and I do mean many) puffers disagree, including Harris, Mike Glukier and scads of others. They claim DNR is a sweeter blend. To my (perhaps inferior) tastebuds they are the same.

chemistfox

Lurker
Oct 19, 2013
Va/Per's kinda interest me and i've been looking to try a higher end one, so i'll have to pick up some Deluxe Navy Rolls.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@edgreen. I might get chewed out for saying this, but I've had Haddo's Delight before and was not impressed. It has been a while, and I do still have the tin jarred up, so I might have to try it again sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.