PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I keep on seeing people on Facebook forums inserting a cigars in their pipes. I quite fail to see the point ... besides the fact that you need to search high and low for a pipe that fits a particular cigar gauge, what's the difference, I imagine the cigar wouldn't taste much different. I kind of reminds me of Broz Tito, the Yugoslav dictator ... I never understood why he smoked the way he did, I guess it kind of got him a signature look.
35a70ee09a65c706b8cb2733f803fc8d.jpg

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I love a good cigar. When it's really good, I'll smoke the last bit in a specially dedicated pipe. I mostly smoke petites, and have a very small chambered pipe that I use exclusively for that purpose. Saw my Dad do it once, and thought it was a brilliant idea. Been doing it ever since. Saying all that, I wouldn't smoke a whole cigar plugged into a pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nearly a century ago, there was a prepacked tobacco in the shape of a cigar nub made to just drop into your pipe and light it.
bBRircE.png

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
That's neat, Duane. Reminds me of paper cartridges for muzzleloaders and cap-and-ball pistols. For the man in a hurry. Or someone who prefers not to think about all the preparation, variables and ritual.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I quite fail to see the point
Simple, for me, it's because I'm a cheap SOB. I hate to waste tobacco. So when I smoke a cigar, the last inch or so goes into a cob. I smoke 50 ring cigars and they fit perfectly into the cob.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Weezell has quite a collection of miniature 'cutty' pipes designed for smoking cigars - some of them being my failed Ebay purchases when I thought I had bid on a meerschaum 'cutty' pipe and found that I had instead purchased a cheroot holder. He will probably chime in in a minute since he uses them for smoking cigars. It was pretty common to have a cigarette holder like Tito used in the early part of the 20th century and you see them on Ebay quite often.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
When I was a cigar smoker and enjoying a great cigar, I would occasionally finish it off in one of my pipes. It was a great way to enjoy the entire cigar.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Can't chew the cigar when using a pipe. For me ... that's a bad thing.
I'm not a chomper, really, but I absolutely agree that leaf on mouth is an important part of the cigar experience for me. And usually, when I get to the point that a cigar becomes uncomfortable to hold, the cigar is usually becoming a bit unpleasant with accumulated tars and saliva. I couldn't really see myself smoking a cigar in a pipe, but I would like to try those Semois bouchons if I ever get a chance.
montagebouchon.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would like to try those Semois bouchons if I ever get a chance.
Ditto, I have heard good things about them. Never thought of putting a nub into a pipe, I always just hit it like a joint roach. They get pretty damn hot and acrid by then most of the time anyway. Maybe a pipe changes that?

Status
Not open for further replies.