I don't inhale but have chest congestion?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
Hey guys-
So I'm still really new to this, and I tell myself I don't inhale, but my chest is kinda telling me otherwise. Am I doing something wrong or do you typically have chest congestion after you smoke?
All of you who responded to my other thread from a few days ago in the beginner section will be happy to know I'm on track for two smokes this week...I thought I was done with peer pressure years ago. :wink:
--Skagit 8)

Jan 8, 2013
There's always a chance you're taking some smoke into your lungs whether you're inhaling or not, you are after all taking smoke into your mouth, especially if you are smoking indoors. You may also be bringing the smoke into you're nose as you are breathing and therefore inhaling some smoke. If you are a new smoker you may be more susceptible to discomfort as you're body is thinking... "What the crap are you putting into my lungs!" However, I am not a doctor or in a medical profession in any manner so I could be totally wrong. You could also just be getting a chest cold. Who knows? Either way, I hope you get over your discomfort soon, and it might be best to put the pipe away for a couple days until you feel better. No point in irritating your chest congestion further.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'd recommend getting that checked out. If it's not constant (as it usually is with colds/flu/upper respiratory crap), and if it's definitely connected with smoking (i.e. doesn't happen at other times, always happens after a bowl sort of correlation), it could be allergies or asthma, which would suck. But definitely get it checked out - I've had enough relatives with lung ailments to be less than blase' about my lungs, though I continue to accept the risks associated with pipe smoking.

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
Thanks guys. I'm smoking outside, but I think there's a good likelihood that I'm taking some in through the nose as I try and figure out the whole breathing/mouth isolation thing.
Phred...interesting point. If it continues I'll pay a visit to the MD.
Cosmic...not quite sure I follow the beginner forum comment. I guess it could sound like I double posted, but I was referring to another post from the other day. You had to be there I guess...
--Skagit out 8)

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
You are always going to get smoke into your lungs regardless of whether or not you only think you pull it into your mouth/nose. I workout all the time and since I started puffing over a year ago every now and again I get a little tight in the chest. I only smoke outdoors - and don't "inhale". You'll be fine, stay healthy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pay attention to your body, as we are always being told. You could have one of the many seasonal bugs

going around, and a pipe smoking vacation would be in order. You could be sensitive to whatever sidestream

smoke you're getting, and as others have pointed out, there is always some. You might have an allergy or

be asthmatic, and the pipe smoke might be activating that. Give it a rest, the try again cautiously when you

feel better. I am no medical professional, but that's how I'd handle it. If things don't straighten out without

pipe smoking, have a consultation with your doc.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
skagit:
Welcome aboard, Sir!
'Tis the season for chest-congestion, so what you are experiencing might be coincidence. On the other hand, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, and it may be affecting the bronchioles in your lungs (in essence causing the diameter of their lumens to decrease so that you feel congested). You may want to experiment with some lower-nicotine blends to see if this helps reduce your symptoms.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I spend a lot of time riding my bike very week and tend to get a tight chest if I'm smoking a lot. I have to limit my smoking to once a week to avoid that problem...but I also get a lot of exposure to ebonite and briar dust even with good dust collection in my shop...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
When it comes to respiratory infections, color is key ... sputum color that is.
If you have a "rattle" or wet cough and produce yellow to green sputum, it's most likely bacterial.
There is a newer lab test available that differentiates between viral and bacterial infections

called Procalcitonin. It's quite specific and can save you from taking unnecessary antibiotics.
Hope it clears up soon whatever the cause! :puffy:

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
+1 Phred
I have allergies and I'm in the process of growing out of my asthma so I can speak to that a little bit. Before starting on medication I was becoming congested pretty regularly after smoking. This was especially true if I was outside in the cold. Allergy medication helps me a lot.
On a side note: I found that different blends/casings effect me in different ways. A little diversity in your rotation might help a lot.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Congestion or pain? Do you cough and if so cough up anything or does it just hurt? Does it feel like it is hard to breathe? I can't make an internet diagnosis without at least these answered. :)

skagit

Lurker
Jan 27, 2015
Congestion or pain? Do you cough and if so cough up anything or does it just hurt? Does it feel like it is hard to breathe? I can't make an internet diagnosis without at least these answered.
Well, you see doc...it's like this... :wink:
I guess I'd call it more of an irritation or tightness, or just an awareness of my chest that I'm not accustomed to. No cough or...ahem..."wetness". I can run a mile or two and it doesn't seem to slow me down.
Maybe I'll just walk around with a pipe in my mouth and pretend to smoke it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
As a former consumptive I have a permanent cough due to screwed lungs and hence my loathing for NYC winters and desire to move to warmer climes. It might be wise to lay off the pipe for a few days and see if that improves the situation. Alternatively 'Dr' Charlie's prescription might also work for you equally well!

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Well, keep in mind even though you may not be sucking the smoke down to your toes the way some guys do, you're definitely inhaling some of it; can't be avoided.
Could be you just aren't used to it yet, esp if you've never smoked before.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I guess I'd call it more of an irritation or tightness, or just an awareness of my chest that I'm not accustomed to. No cough or...ahem..."wetness". I can run a mile or two and it doesn't seem to slow me down.
Any acid reflux or stomach conditions in your past?

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
On a different note, there was a young guy working for a pharmacist. One morning, before the pharmacist came in, the young man helped a gentleman and sent him on his way. The pharmacist arrives, and as he's walking in, he sees a man leaning against the wall, looking pale. He walks in and asks about the fella' leaning against the wall. The young guy says, "Oh, him? Yeah, he came in complaining of a cough, so I gave him a laxative." The pharmacist yells, "WHAT? You gave him a laxative?? WHY?!" The young guy nods to the sick guy and says, "Yeah! Look at 'im! He's afraid to cough!"

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
My case when I smoke Burley sometime I get a chest pain but Virginia or English(lakakia,Perique)blend has no problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.